Mooresville

Adding Garmin 742xs 2016 226 ssi

11 posts in this topic

I am preparing to install the factory option Garmin 742xs in my 2016 226. I have ordered the unit, transducer, and woodgrain bezel. The dealer is not showing any additional parts required to the install.

It seems like there would be a harness to go from the digital gauges to the unit. Does anyone know if there is an existing Nmea 2000 network from the factory or what is required to tie the engine data to the GPS unit?

Well, its like this...........

Personally that unit is too small to display, GPS, fish finder and engine data. But thats me.

I have a 741 and a 741s, One for radar and GPS, the other for GPS as a back up and Fish finder. What happened to me is that one side of my tech (I have twin engines) was broken. New tech was 750 and if your engine uses J1939 protocol, which mine does. For 175 I added a J1939 to NMEA2k getaway. In the lower corners of the 741's you can have data fields (a digital read out). So now I can display both engines tech readings in those fields. Now this you can do, but to display the gauges would take up a whole screen.

Thanks for you input. I have used the garmin 7 series in another boat for several years. I would totally agree that trying to display all the information on a single display would be too much.  I mostly will use the map display with engine info around the edges just like you are describing. 

I will be removing 2 3-way digital gauges. So I know their is a data source coming from the engine. I'm just not sure if it's a NMEA 2000 hub or some other source and what connectors will be necessary. Thanks again.

I'm not sure about the newer boats, but on my 2012 225SSI, there's no connection from the engine to the Garmin, even though it's NMEA2000 capable.  I've been researching gateway options to rectify this, but I don't think there's any factory integration on the 'smaller' Chaparrals like there is on the bigger ones.

I should have asked, are we talking about Mercs or Volvos. I have Volvo's and the data goes right to the tech. Four wires to the tech and that feeds all the other gauges for the two engines other than the fuel tank. The gateway I used was a pass though connection to the tech with a NMEA2k connection. Mercs, I could not tell you

Would love to replace the Garmin 541s in my 264 sometime with a 742xs.  Just not sure how I would go about it, since the dash would need to be custom made for it to fit.  I have toyed with trying to build a new dash with a 742xs and a 4" VesselView and getting rid of all of the original gauges.  But again, not sure how to go about it, or at least I have not come to any solid conclusions yet :)

I would leave the 541s in place and mount the 741 to the side. Use the 541s as a fish finder and the 741 as a GPS. This will also give you a backup GPS unit. 

Same here ... if there is real estate to mount, two chartplotters are better than one.

You can divide the functions and views between two units: bigger for main functions like charts, navigation, radar, smaller for supporting functions like depth finder, engine data, etc. Often when cursing I have both units on charts but at different zoom levels with speed data and depth info relegated to the display corners. Here is a look at my setup ...

page22-1010-full.jpg

... and more pictures and info in this topic: http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/27398-some-2014-mods-ive-not-had-time-to-post-about/&

I have thought about it, but there is really no room on a 264 helm to add another display.  And I not mean in the dash, I mean anywhere.  

I really do not need a separate sonar and GPS anyway.  Right now split screen GPS and song on the 541 works great for me.  I do not need a dedicated GPS screen, I know Lake Mead extremely well.  But dynamic lake level would be a great feature to have, as the lake will go up and down 20-40 feet or more each year.

If I could find a good price on a 547xs I would consider going that route, but they are discontinued and ones I have seen for sale are way too high price for something discontinued.  And side view sonar would be nice to have, too lol!

Really, I think it is because I have had the boat now for 8 years.  I love it, and if I had to buy a new boat I would buy the same exact model.  I do not need bigger, do not want smaller, have a big block already, etc.   And there is not enough new on current 264s to justify doing so for me.  Plus I do not like the new tubular arch.  So I am looking at what I can do to spruce it up some after 8 years of staring at the same dash :).