Adding Garmin 742xs 2016 226 ssi

I am preparing to install the factory option Garmin 742xs in my 2016 226. I have ordered the unit, transducer, and woodgrain bezel. The dealer is not showing any additional parts required to the install.

It seems like there would be a harness to go from the digital gauges to the unit. Does anyone know if there is an existing Nmea 2000 network from the factory or what is required to tie the engine data to the GPS unit?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, its like this...........

Personally that unit is too small to display, GPS, fish finder and engine data. But thats me.

I have a 741 and a 741s, One for radar and GPS, the other for GPS as a back up and Fish finder. What happened to me is that one side of my tech (I have twin engines) was broken. New tech was 750 and if your engine uses J1939 protocol, which mine does. For 175 I added a J1939 to NMEA2k getaway. In the lower corners of the 741's you can have data fields (a digital read out). So now I can display both engines tech readings in those fields. Now this you can do, but to display the gauges would take up a whole screen.

Thanks for you input. I have used the garmin 7 series in another boat for several years. I would totally agree that trying to display all the information on a single display would be too much.  I mostly will use the map display with engine info around the edges just like you are describing. 

I will be removing 2 3-way digital gauges. So I know their is a data source coming from the engine. I'm just not sure if it's a NMEA 2000 hub or some other source and what connectors will be necessary. Thanks again.

I'm not sure about the newer boats, but on my 2012 225SSI, there's no connection from the engine to the Garmin, even though it's NMEA2000 capable.  I've been researching gateway options to rectify this, but I don't think there's any factory integration on the 'smaller' Chaparrals like there is on the bigger ones.

I should have asked, are we talking about Mercs or Volvos. I have Volvo's and the data goes right to the tech. Four wires to the tech and that feeds all the other gauges for the two engines other than the fuel tank. The gateway I used was a pass though connection to the tech with a NMEA2k connection. Mercs, I could not tell you

Would love to replace the Garmin 541s in my 264 sometime with a 742xs.  Just not sure how I would go about it, since the dash would need to be custom made for it to fit.  I have toyed with trying to build a new dash with a 742xs and a 4" VesselView and getting rid of all of the original gauges.  But again, not sure how to go about it, or at least I have not come to any solid conclusions yet :)

Same here ... if there is real estate to mount, two chartplotters are better than one.

You can divide the functions and views between two units: bigger for main functions like charts, navigation, radar, smaller for supporting functions like depth finder, engine data, etc. Often when cursing I have both units on charts but at different zoom levels with speed data and depth info relegated to the display corners. Here is a look at my setup ...

page22-1010-full.jpg

... and more pictures and info in this topic: http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/27398-some-2014-mods-ive-not-had-time-to-post-about/&

I have thought about it, but there is really no room on a 264 helm to add another display.  And I not mean in the dash, I mean anywhere.  

I really do not need a separate sonar and GPS anyway.  Right now split screen GPS and song on the 541 works great for me.  I do not need a dedicated GPS screen, I know Lake Mead extremely well.  But dynamic lake level would be a great feature to have, as the lake will go up and down 20-40 feet or more each year.

If I could find a good price on a 547xs I would consider going that route, but they are discontinued and ones I have seen for sale are way too high price for something discontinued.  And side view sonar would be nice to have, too lol!

Really, I think it is because I have had the boat now for 8 years.  I love it, and if I had to buy a new boat I would buy the same exact model.  I do not need bigger, do not want smaller, have a big block already, etc.   And there is not enough new on current 264s to justify doing so for me.  Plus I do not like the new tubular arch.  So I am looking at what I can do to spruce it up some after 8 years of staring at the same dash :).

• 2 years later...

Pretty old topic but I just bought a 2017 216.  It also has the 2 3-way gauges in the center, and I'd really like to add the garmin gps.  Mooresville, did you ever figure this out?  I called my dealer and they suggested I talk to some random audio shop in town.  Would love to see a pic if you did it.

My 2014 226 has the two gauges flanking a Garmin chartplotter in the center.  I removed it as it was old and had poor resolution and used the bezel as a guide to cut a new one out of black plexiglass. I then installed a Garmin 74cv in the plexiglass bezel and connected it to the existing Airmar B60 transducer. 

rsz_fb_img_1534781912354.thumb.jpg.bcf35439625f860e929b91613c611fe7.jpg

Yeah I was able to getting it installed and it was well worth the effort.  It's a nice touchscreen unit.  I was able to connect the engine data to Garmin this give me full digital gauges. 

Looks great.  Any particular reason y'all went with Garmin?  Simrad looks like another good choice, and I like their drag and drop feature to setup the screen, but I don't know anymore than that.  I'll primarily use the GPS/maps and digital gauges.

Garmin is what the factory uses, so the grey wood grain surround bolts right in.  Also, I mostly use it for navigation and in my opinion Garmin is great for navigation. For instance, if we are taking a 50 mile trip. I just click the marina/restaurant that we are going to and it calculates the route.  Not in a straight line, but curves around islands, shallow areas etc.  But gets you there in the shortest distance based on my preferences.  I tell it that I want a minimum of 10ft and I don't want to go closer that 20ft to the shore and it does the rest.  Also I have a Garmin Virb camera (gopro by garmin) and it connects wirelessly.  I use it as a ski camera (mirror) or leave it rear facing and don't get suprised when someones passing or getting close.  Overall, I really like garmin for navigation. 

I have done this in my 18 257SSX. There is no built in wiring for engine diagnostics.  I assume you have a tach smart gauge on the left and a speedo smart gauge on the right.  Pull the speedo and move the multi gauge to the right.  Between your 742, tach, smart gauge and right multi gauge you will have everything covered.  Your 742 displays batter and speed.  You will have to either leave your other smart gauge plugged in behind the garmin or buy the harness because it carries the power.  If you pull it out, your multi gauge will not have power and not work. 

My dealer just told me the install becomes a lot harder if you wanted the gps system to talk to the engine (what you said).  Since I would be losing two gauges, I would definitely want the engine data available, although what you're saying makes sense and sounds much easier, I like shiny things and would prefer all of the data be available on the screen as well so I didn't have to cycle through the smart gauge (plus if I get a shiny toy, I'd like it to work as intended).  Is it simply another part that needs to be ordered, or is it really a installation that becomes 10x harder?  If so, I could definitely make do with your suggestion.

I wouldn’t say it becomes 10x harder,  but you do need a engine gateway so output engine data to the NMEA 2000 protocol that your chartplotter can read . For my Volvo I used the Yacht Devices gateway. The entire installation took me maybe 2 hours.  
For Mercury you would need a SmartCraft to NMEA gateway that you might already have depending on your gauge package. 

Okay, so if I've researched this properly, I need a Yacht Device gateway for my Volvo engine.  This gateway will be inserted inline with the tachometer.  The gateway connection will then need to be plugged into a NMEA2000 network (I'll buy a starter kit for this).  The chartplotter would then tie into the NMEA2000 network.  Is it this simple, assuming I know how to hook everything up with power and such?

Only outstanding item would then be if I were to get the Garmin or the Simrad, as they have a different size connector if I read everything correctly.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this.  My dealer doesn't seem to understand all of this and made it sound very hard...probably so I would go away.

4 hours ago, kevinwright9 said:

My dealer just told me the install becomes a lot harder if you wanted the gps system to talk to the engine (what you said).  Since I would be losing two gauges, I would definitely want the engine data available, although what you're saying makes sense and sounds much easier, I like shiny things and would prefer all of the data be available on the screen as well so I didn't have to cycle through the smart gauge (plus if I get a shiny toy, I'd like it to work as intended).  Is it simply another part that needs to be ordered, or is it really a installation that becomes 10x harder?  If so, I could definitely make do with your suggestion.

Just FYI... if you would have purchased the chart plotter option on that boat new, you wouldn’t have had engine diagnostics via the 742 (I think). I believe it would have been set up exactly as I have described... minus the extra smart gauge still hooked hidden in the dash.. the factory uses a jumper harness. 

11 hours ago, kevinwright9 said:

Okay, so if I've researched this properly, I need a Yacht Device gateway for my Volvo engine.  This gateway will be inserted inline with the tachometer.  The gateway connection will then need to be plugged into a NMEA2000 network (I'll buy a starter kit for this).  The chartplotter would then tie into the NMEA2000 network.  Is it this simple, assuming I know how to hook everything up with power and such?

Only outstanding item would then be if I were to get the Garmin or the Simrad, as they have a different size connector if I read everything correctly.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this.  My dealer doesn't seem to understand all of this and made it sound very hard...probably so I would go away.

That about it.  The gateway connects to a port on your engine that is near where the gauges connect.  You do need to configure the gateway via text file,  but that's easy.  I could even send you my config to get you going.  

12 hours ago, Steve&Steph said:

Just FYI... if you would have purchased the chart plotter option on that boat new, you wouldn’t have had engine diagnostics via the 742 (I think). I believe it would have been set up exactly as I have described... minus the extra smart gauge still hooked hidden in the dash.. the factory uses a jumper harness. 

What do you use for depth gauge?  Mine is on my speedo which would be removed in your description above.  I don't plan on getting a transducer so would that leave me out in the cold if I opt not to do the NMEA2000 connection?  I know the maps show depth but I use the gauge when in shallower water.

I have a 2011 Sig 290 with twin Volvo 4.3l engines.  I installed the gateway about three years ago. As to where the gateway is installed, I am talking about Volvo's only. It depends on, do you have digital or analog gauges. In my case, the gateway was installed in line with the tech at the helm. One gateway did both engines. A 20 min install, but it took 2 hours to research and move pins on the connector.

Analog, you must use one gateway per engine and is installed at the engine. As to the file, very easy to create and edit. But mine worked without it with everything showing that I needed.  

As to a NEMA2k transducer, that will only give you depth and no fish finding screen. Keep in mind that NMEA2k is old technology that comes out of the 80s. Better that NMEA 0183, but limited bandwidth and now Ethernet is replacing it. If you have radar or a black box fish finder you know what I mean.