Adding Garmin 742xs 2016 226 ssi

49 minutes ago, kevinwright9 said:

What do you use for depth gauge?  Mine is on my speedo which would be removed in your description above.  I don't plan on getting a transducer so would that leave me out in the cold if I opt not to do the NMEA2000 connection?  I know the maps show depth but I use the gauge when in shallower water.

My boat came with a Garmin 520 and Airmar B60 through hull transducer. So when I upgraded to the Echomap I bought an adapter box to let me connect it to the newer 8 pin connection on my Garmin. 

Your current depth gauge has a transducer so maybe you can connect it to your Garmin. You just need to figure out what it is. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, kevinwright9 said:

What do you use for depth gauge?  Mine is on my speedo which would be removed in your description above.  I don't plan on getting a transducer so would that leave me out in the cold if I opt not to do the NMEA2000 connection?  I know the maps show depth but I use the gauge when in shallower water.

I used an in-hull transducer.  Have sonar and depth and didn’t drill any holes. 

I don't believe they were building NMEA2000 networks from the factory in 2008.  Here is the equipment you will need to connect a Mercruiser

Equipment list:

Lowrance 000-0124-69 Nmea 2000 Starter Kit (000012469) (to begin building the network)

Mercury-Mercruiser 8M0165589 NMEA 2000 CAN-P SmartCraft Gateway 1-4 Engines (translates engine data to NMEA2000 network)

Mercruiser Quicksilver Oem Part # 84-879981T30 Harness Assy (has one resistor) (engine data)

Mercury Boat Terminator Smartcraft 859318B1 (the second resistor) (engine data)

4-Way Junction Box Kit - 878492K14 (engine data)

See my post from 

23 hours ago, kevinwright9 said:

My dealer just told me the install becomes a lot harder if you wanted the gps system to talk to the engine (what you said).  Since I would be losing two gauges, I would definitely want the engine data available, although what you're saying makes sense and sounds much easier, I like shiny things and would prefer all of the data be available on the screen as well so I didn't have to cycle through the smart gauge (plus if I get a shiny toy, I'd like it to work as intended).  Is it simply another part that needs to be ordered, or is it really a installation that becomes 10x harder?  If so, I could definitely make do with your suggestion.

I was in the exact same situation. I had to have engine data if I was losing 2 gauges.

I setup a basic nmea2000 network with a basic starter kit.  I used the Yacht Devices gateway for Volvo. It plugs into the engines diagnostic port on one end and the network on the other. It provides a ton of data to the network. Then you connect the chartplotter to the network. Once the two are talking it allows you to built custom digital gauge displays. 

6 hours ago, kevinwright9 said:

Garmin GT15M is what I used. No issues. Acurite depth under full power. 

On 5/11/2020 at 5:43 PM, Steve&Steph said:

I have done this in my 18 257SSX. There is no built in wiring for engine diagnostics.  I assume you have a tach smart gauge on the left and a speedo smart gauge on the right.  Pull the speedo and move the multi gauge to the right.  Between your 742, tach, smart gauge and right multi gauge you will have everything covered.  Your 742 displays batter and speed.  You will have to either leave your other smart gauge plugged in behind the garmin or buy the harness because it carries the power.  If you pull it out, your multi gauge will not have power and not work. 

I'll have to go back and look, but I didn't hide a gauge in the dash or buy a harness to get it working on mine.

4 hours ago, Mooresville said:

I was in the exact same situation. I had to have engine data if I was losing 2 gauges.

I setup a basic nmea2000 network with a basic starter kit.  I used the Yacht Devices gateway for Volvo. It plugs into the engines diagnostic port on one end and the network on the other. It provides a ton of data to the network. Then you connect the chartplotter to the network. Once the two are talking it allows you to built custom digital gauge displays. 

Our boats are very close in year and size.  Did you connect the gateway near the engine or under the console?  It looks like I'm supposed to just pull a connection from the tach under the console and insert the gateway, but the connections do not match (6-pin versus 8-pin according to my research of the gauges).  My boat is in dry storage so I haven't been able to climb underneath and take a closer look.  That's my plan for Thursday when it stops raining here.

Same question for the transducer.  Neither the Garmin or the Simrad has an 8-pin connector, so where is this connected?

Am I needing to get adapters for both the gateway and the transducer?

9 hours ago, kevinwright9 said:

Our boats are very close in year and size.  Did you connect the gateway near the engine or under the console?  It looks like I'm supposed to just pull a connection from the tach under the console and insert the gateway, but the connections do not match (6-pin versus 8-pin according to my research of the gauges).  My boat is in dry storage so I haven't been able to climb underneath and take a closer look.  That's my plan for Thursday when it stops raining here.

Same question for the transducer.  Neither the Garmin or the Simrad has an 8-pin connector, so where is this connected?

My install was 6 pins, but not all the pins are used. Basically, only 5 pins are used at least on mt boat. Can +, can-, Pos, Neg and ignition.   You may not need a adapter, but just a new plug itself. How many of the pins are used?  

18 hours ago, kevinwright9 said:

I plugged the Yacht Devices gateway in at the engine.  It plugs directly into the engines diagnostic port.  No adapter is required.  It then runs to the console where it plugs into the mnea2000 network.  I never tie anything into my gauges or leave hidden gauges like someone else mentioned. Engine to network, then plotter to network. As far as the transducer, just buy one that its compatible with your chartplotter and plug it directly into the chartplotter, no need to connect to the network. 

On 5/13/2020 at 4:22 PM, Mooresville said:

I plugged the Yacht Devices gateway in at the engine.  It plugs directly into the engines diagnostic port.  No adapter is required.  It then runs to the console where it plugs into the mnea2000 network.  I never tie anything into my gauges or leave hidden gauges like someone else mentioned. Engine to network, then plotter to network. As far as the transducer, just buy one that its compatible with your chartplotter and plug it directly into the chartplotter, no need to connect to the network. 

Did you remove your speedo smart gauge and move over a multi-gauge to the speedo hole?

On 5/13/2020 at 5:22 PM, Mooresville said:

On some installs, you may have to plug directly into the engine/s. But electronics of any type do not like heat.   

On 5/12/2020 at 7:44 PM, Steve&Steph said:

Did you delete your speedo smart gauge?

Yes. I setup just like you described and the way the factory installs when you buy navigation. 

Left=Tach

Center=Navigation 

Right=Multigauge (fuel/water/trim) 

You guys may not know the answer to this, but there's a Plus version of the 742xs.  It has a connection on the back for a J-1936 connection, which is the connection coming from the engine.  Garmin also mentions the ability to connect your chartplotter into different kinds of engines, including Yamaha.  I'm curious if I can skip the NMEA2000 network since I don't haven't anything to plug into it other than the chartplotter (since transducer plugs directly into chartplotter).  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 6:19 PM, Mooresville said:

Yes. I setup just like you described and the way the factory installs when you buy navigation. 

Left=Tach

Center=Navigation 

Right=Multigauge (fuel/water/trim) 

Hey Mooresville,

Did you cut the dash yourself or did you order a part from Chaparral?  My dealer is saying he can't order something like that after I've bought all of the necessary parts to do this.  Just curious if you bought something or just cut out the holes that were previously there from the gauges.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, kevinwright9 said:

Hey Mooresville,

Did you cut the dash yourself or did you order a part from Chaparral?  My dealer is saying he can't order something like that after I've bought all of the necessary parts to do this.  Just curious if you bought something or just cut out the holes that were previously there from the gauges.  Thanks!

I did not cut the dash. I ordered the navigation surround from my dealer. (2018 model came with the Garmin 742xs for the factory) They did have to call someone at the factory to get the correct part #.  But it is literally plug and play. If you can't get you dealer to work with you call the dealer in Mooresville NC. They are the largest in the world and have good customer service.

15 hours ago, kevinwright9 said:

Hey Mooresville,

It can be ordered.  You just have to find a dealer that is willing to call the parts department and put some effort into it.  My dealer basically said the same thing (by not answering my emails).  I reached out on the Chap FB group asking someone for help.  Let me see if I can find the guy that was able to order it for me. 

1 hour ago, Steve&Steph said:

It can be ordered.  You just have to find a dealer that is willing to call the parts department and put some effort into it.  My dealer basically said the same thing (by not answering my emails).  I reached out on the Chap FB group asking someone for help.  Let me see if I can find the guy that was able to order it for me. 

That would be great, thanks for taking a look.

14 hours ago, Mooresville said:

I did not cut the dash. I ordered the navigation surround from my dealer. (2018 model came with the Garmin 742xs for the factory) They did have to call someone at the factory to get the correct part #.  But it is literally plug and play. If you can't get you dealer to work with you call the dealer in Mooresville NC. They are the largest in the world and have good customer service.

What model of 2018.  I don't see that they made a 216 or 226 ssi, but I do see a 246 from that year.  Dash looks very similar but not quite exact.  If you remember the model, then I'll just run by the dealer and have him look it up while I'm there.

• 2 months later...

Quick update.  I did get the Garmin 742xs installed.  Had to order the dash panel from a 2018 246 SSi, but it is the same size and wood grain look.  I also added the Yacht Devices Gateway for my Volvo engine.  I did have to rewire the connection, but they provided instructions and it was pretty easy.  I did have to keep my speedometer as the power for my multigauge came from the speedometer.  The technician who installed this thinks there may be a harness, but he wasn't sure.  So my speedometer is tied up tight under the console along with my NMEA2000 network.

Image.heic

12 hours ago, kevinwright9 said:

Quick update.  I did get the Garmin 742xs installed.  Had to order the dash panel from a 2018 246 SSi, but it is the same size and wood grain look.  I also added the Yacht Devices Gateway for my Volvo engine.  I did have to rewire the connection, but they provided instructions and it was pretty easy.  I did have to keep my speedometer as the power for my multigauge came from the speedometer.  The technician who installed this thinks there may be a harness, but he wasn't sure.  So my speedometer is tied up tight under the console along with my NMEA2000 network.

Image.heic 200.88 kB · 3 downloads

I can’t see your picture,  but you probably have the same gauges I have.  I don’t understand why you need the Speedo. My multifunction gauge connects to my tach.  No speedo required. The 12 pin harness that connects to my smart gauge has a connection for the multifunction gauge.  

On 5/12/2020 at 6:16 PM, Senior said:

I don't believe they were building NMEA2000 networks from the factory in 2008.  Here is the equipment you will need to connect a Mercruiser

Equipment list:

Lowrance 000-0124-69 Nmea 2000 Starter Kit (000012469) (to begin building the network)

Mercury-Mercruiser 8M0165589 NMEA 2000 CAN-P SmartCraft Gateway 1-4 Engines (translates engine data to NMEA2000 network)

Mercruiser Quicksilver Oem Part # 84-879981T30 Harness Assy (has one resistor) (engine data)

Mercury Boat Terminator Smartcraft 859318B1 (the second resistor) (engine data)

4-Way Junction Box Kit - 878492K14 (engine data)

See my post from 

Excellent and almost identical to mine, which I also opened a topic for it with bluetooth interface so you can hook it up to a ipad or a laptop or even a TV which is my ultimate goal and I showed pics of all the gateway hooking up and all the information on making it work and what has a sensor to show up on the MFD and what doesn't in my particular VP-8.1 which if I really wanted to, I would have to add all these sensors to these items such as the gas tank level so that would show up on the 741xs that I added and kept the factory 531 or whatever it was for backup.  Check it out as it might help answer some of the questions you might have.  A lot more to do to the system to get more out of it for sure.