Challenger604

Wax/compound

45 posts in this topic

I have used all different brands, most are pretty good but down in Florida last 6 months.

Some say wax with carnauba will yellow...I dont think it lasts long enough to do that.

I have used Zaino good products, Sal is a funny guy if you call them.

Their carwash is amazing.

I used a product called Driven which I like very much.

If you polish/wax every six months, it probably doesnt matter what you use.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jeffk said:

I have used all different brands, most are pretty good but down in Florida last 6 months.

Some say wax with carnauba will yellow...I dont think it lasts long enough to do that.

I have used Zaino good products, Sal is a funny guy if you call them.

Their carwash is amazing.

I used a product called Driven which I like very much.

If you polish/wax every six months, it probably doesnt matter what you use.

 

What you use doesn't really matter in the end game as much as what some people like to tell you, the key is actually doing it.  With that said you aren't going to find a wax to last 6 months you just wont, most bottles will tell you every 1-3 months to be honest.  If your taking that boat out every weekend, sits outside, sees a lot of sun, that wax is probably lasting weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I polish and wax my boat with store-bought stuff once per season.  It's wide band black.  It's 12 years old and has over 800 engine hours on it.  It has always lived outside but covered.  I wipe it down after each outing and often spritz with a spray detailer.  

y4mK_PjCVmDl7HNFZbebzaH1M3By7sDQb108IWOf

y4mIi81DXIN8t2gvHJhwTKjhwzomktsqVu64wwg7

 

Now that's a shiny boat. That looks great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Challenger604 said:

Now that's a shiny boat. That looks great. 

I don't think he puts it in the water. Just leaves it on the lift and waxes it every weekend.  :D

He does have a pic of him skiing. Funny, you don't see what he is skiing behind. Probably that POS Four Winns docked next to him.   :dancinguy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

I don't think he puts it in the water. Just leaves it on the lift and waxes it every weekend.  :D

He does have a pic of him skiing. Funny, you don't see what he is skiing behind. Probably that POS Four Winns docked next to him.   :dancinguy:

That's just freak'n hilarious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are giving me the business.  My real secret is that I only go out when it rains.

y4mMwqfX4mBWyjqnkwHo14rIvSRxwewcPszd-jkk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2018 at 1:53 PM, soldier4402 said:

What you use doesn't really matter in the end game as much as what some people like to tell you, the key is actually doing it.  With that said you aren't going to find a wax to last 6 months you just wont, most bottles will tell you every 1-3 months to be honest.  If your taking that boat out every weekend, sits outside, sees a lot of sun, that wax is probably lasting weeks. 

I live in South Florida and take the boat out every week.

Waxing the boat every six months and washing weekly with a hot sauce wipedown seems to work fine.

Just washed it today and water beads right up.

I can see a clear image of myself on the side of the boat.c

I am quite satisfied with my six month schedule.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jeffk said:

I live in South Florida and take the boat out every week.

Waxing the boat every six months and washing weekly with a hot sauce wipedown seems to work fine.

Just washed it today and water beads right up.

I can see a clear image of myself on the side of the boat.c

I am quite satisfied with my six month schedule.

 

 

 

 

 

 

But how satisfied are you with that clear image of yourself? At my age, I'm grateful that my long distance vision has begun to fade, as there are so many more attractive women in the world now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jeffk said:

I live in South Florida and take the boat out every week.

Waxing the boat every six months and washing weekly with a hot sauce wipedown seems to work fine.

Just washed it today and water beads right up.

I can see a clear image of myself on the side of the boat.c

I am quite satisfied with my six month schedule.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm not saying your wrong in what you do.  Wax its self protects the finish, its not necessarily a shine agent.  So what you are doing by waxing is protecting your finish and what you are seeing is a well cared for finish, not the wax.  The average wax being used on a boat is not lasting but weeks maybe a month just isn't, but what you are doing is enough to protect the finish.  So again not saying your wrong, I wax my boat once for a 3-4 month season and I use the side to pluck hair off my face.  My point was wax simply doesn't last more than a few months at ideal conditions, meaning its not staying on the finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My image? Well I dont think I will be on the cover of GQ at anytime soon.

After dealing with cancer twice... I am just glad to see something!

HM.....maybe I will have to wax more often!

I am a sucker for new polishes, my goal this year is to finish what I have before I buy anything else.

Although i did pick up this polymer spray and wipe at the west palm beach show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jeffk said:

My image? Well I dont think I will be on the cover of GQ at anytime soon.

After dealing with cancer twice... I am just glad to see something!

HM.....maybe I will have to wax more often!

I am a sucker for new polishes, my goal this year is to finish what I have before I buy anything else.

Although i did pick up this polymer spray and wipe at the west palm beach show.

What kind of products do matter.  A pure polish usually doesn't have any protecting power,  a polish is used usually to remove grime, swirl marks, fine marks ets, it usually doesn't leave anything behind.  Wax leaves a small amount of film that protects the finish.  But like I said any wax that you and are buying isn't lasting more than a month or two specially on a boat. 

 

My regime usually consists of using like a mequires cleaner wax, so it has a little polish and wax, does a little both.  Then I use spray detailer after every use as it takes 10 mins, it removes water spots and also applies a wax to it.  Every other year or so, I use a polish like nufinish first to really get the finish back. 

 

Just really have to look at the products and understand the half life of them, and what each actually does.  There are some designer waxes and polishes out there have some wonderful claims.  But the stuff that most of us are buying at the store, one kind really isn't any better than other, sure some work easier etc, but in general buying wax at the store is like buying gas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I bought the 220, I wanted to get it ready quickly for the season so instead of ordering stuff online I went to westmarine as it is the only fully stocked marina store in the city and as luck would have it, there was a professional boat detailer in the aisle shopping for his supplies.  He walked me through what does and doesn't work based on his 20 years of detailing boats for a living. Nothing earth shattering and mostly stuff that has been mentioned already. I was lost because my previous Chap was still in showroom shape without ever needing to touch the exterior other than a wax each year as it was mostly a trailer queen until the year it got totaled.  What I actually found beyond your question is that a variable low speed buffer was a total unicorn and no store other than Harbor Freight carried one locally.  I did a 4 or five step detail on the exterior and so don't skimp on the various buffing pads that you will need if you do use an electric buffer.  You need far more than you think if you want to keep a fresh one on there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a mikita variable low speed buffer.

It is quieter and lighter.

The harbor freight model....for the price is great.

If you are using the wool pads,you should get that tool to clean the pad.

Nowadays I do one side, than come back the next day and do the other.

We are getting to that point in the year, maybe we should have a thread to post nice shiny pics of our boats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jeffk said:

I use a mikita variable low speed buffer.

It is quieter and lighter.

The harbor freight model....for the price is great.

If you are using the wool pads,you should get that tool to clean the pad.

Nowadays I do one side, than come back the next day and do the other.

We are getting to that point in the year, maybe we should have a thread to post nice shiny pics of our boats?

I think I worked ten hours the first time I got the hull to acceptable shape as I had to do some wet sanding of the gel to mitigate some rash....that harbor freight unit really tested my forearms by the end of the day and I'm an avid weight lifter.  I'll just toss it out there but join the harbor freight customer text notification and you will get a 20% off coupon immediately.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I laughed, too. Then I thought about it for a minute....:scratchchin:......then laughed again.  :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now