Jump to content
Challenger604

Wax/compound

Recommended Posts

What's the best wax or rubbing compound you have used on your boat. I'm ready to really give it a good waxing before we splash it this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always used the Mequires Marine line, as their Polish #45 will give you the desired deep shine, and their Flagship marine wax will keep it there. Never needed compound as they are a bit aggressive, and a couple coats of their polish have always provided the desired results. Polish creates the shine, and wax protects the shine. If the hull finish is dead flat, they make a heavy duty color restorer that will bring it back to life, but you would still need to follow up with polish to achieve the perfect shine, and a single coat of wax to keep the shine there. Always remember that wax accumulates and polish does not. The only reason for a second coat of wax is if you think you missed some spots the first time. Polish multiple times until she is perfect, then wax.  W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The marina uses 3M Perfert-it Ex machine polish and it looks like new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

I have always used the Mequires Marine line, as their Polish #45 will give you the desired deep shine, and their Flagship marine wax will keep it there. Never needed compound as they are a bit aggressive, and a couple coats of their polish have always provided the desired results. Polish creates the shine, and wax protects the shine. If the hull finish is dead flat, they make a heavy duty color restorer that will bring it back to life, but you would still need to follow up with polish to achieve the perfect shine, and a single coat of wax to keep the shine there. Always remember that wax accumulates and polish does not. The only reason for a second coat of wax is if you think you missed some spots the first time. Polish multiple times until she is perfect, then wax.  W

I use these as well.  I've always liked Mequier's stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I use these as well.  I've always liked Mequier's stuff.

Yea, I was concerned when 3M bought them out but it seems like they retained the same product lines.  W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always used the Shurhold Yachtbrite products, Buff Magic for fine compounding and Pro Polish for shine and protection.  Have always enjoyed great results on three different boats.  Of course, 3m and Meguiar's make great products as well, and you probably would do well if you chose any one of these.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Colllinite.

I use the 920 liquid cleaner, then follow it up with the 885 paste wax.   they make liquid wax too, but i find the paste lasts longer.  if there is any oxidation, make sure you remove that first

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've given up wax entirely and moved onto current technology: polymers.

The shine is as good, if not better, than any high end wax I've used over the years, on both boats and cars, and it lasts much, much longer.

Extremely easy to apply as an aerosol, and works on pretty much all hard surfaces, including glass.

I use Sonax Netshield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am planning on trying for the first time a nano ceramic coating (Hydrosilex) when my boat comes out of storage. In past years I have used Mcgiures and have liked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep on mine the polymer nano stuff does not provide any paint or gel coat protection from impacts. Yes it makes the paint look nice, but you will have chips in your paint. I used polymer stuff exclusively on my last truck, had some oxidation and paint chips in the bumper and hood. Used wax on previous vehicle with no oxidation and much fewer paint chips. I prefer to use both. Wax to waterproof and paint protect and go over it with a polymer for extra shine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone tried the new product from CG?  It's a non-nutritive varnish, semi-permeable but not osmotic.  It coats and seals, prevents penetration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very Funny, Futzin. You are referring to the product developed by one, Clark W Griswold, are you not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Has anyone tried the new product from CG?  It's a non-nutritive varnish, semi-permeable but not osmotic.  It coats and seals, prevents penetration.

My favorite Christmas movie...

brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps his non-caloric silicon based kitchen lubricant that's 500 times more slippery than cooking oil would be better . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Has anyone tried the new product from CG?  It's a non-nutritive varnish, semi-permeable but not osmotic.  It coats and seals, prevents penetration.

He’s referring to wedding cake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most of your basic waxes last 2-3 months under ideal situations,  a boat is a not an ideal situation.  I am sure there are some designer waxes or crazy stuff out there that will last longer, but in general anything you find at the store is only going to last a month or two at best.

With that said this is what I have been doing.  Strip the boat in the spring using dawn dish soap.  Polish with a polish if needed.  If not needed skip that step and use a good quality wax.  After each boating get yourself a turtle wax spray detailer.  Don't even have to wash and takes a few mins to do the whole boat.  Gets off water spots and dirt spots.

Now what I have meaning to look into and try is a paint sealer something you can find on chemical guys or Zaino, turtle wax has one but its not as nice as the zaino one I used.  Sealents claim 6-12 months of lasting power.  I just don't know how the combination would work on gel coat, although I think they would be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I polish and wax my boat with store-bought stuff once per season.  It's wide band black.  It's 12 years old and has over 800 engine hours on it.  It has always lived outside but covered.  I wipe it down after each outing and often spritz with a spray detailer.  

y4mK_PjCVmDl7HNFZbebzaH1M3By7sDQb108IWOf

y4mIi81DXIN8t2gvHJhwTKjhwzomktsqVu64wwg7

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some sort of white haze above your exhaust pipe in that pic.   :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That guy's Four Winns looks much better in reflection than straight on ... soap, wax, any basic care ... what are those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of direct sunlight ?

Could last 15 years.  Easily.     :D

I warned all boat riders not to wear dark colors.  Due to the white dust being transferred....... Happened before heart surgery. . 2 years in full sunlight. Hull side facing south. Sun did it that quickly. Only the strip where the line cleats are mounted.  Very fine polish / compound & wet pad removed it  all in 15 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Futzin' said:

That guy's Four Winns looks much better in reflection than straight on ... soap, wax, any basic care ... what are those?

That's too bad. He doesn't have the right color life jackets, either. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

That's too bad. He doesn't have the right color life jackets, either. :rolleyes:

It's a hot mess, without the heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

  Sealents claim 6-12 months of lasting power.  I just don't know how the combination would work on gel coat, although I think they would be fine.

1

I asked that question directly to Sonax (a German company) before using, and they stated it was safe for gel coat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

I asked that question directly to Sonax (a German company) before using, and they stated it was safe for gel coat.

nice thanks.  TBH after using it on cars, no need to waste time on wax anymore, this stuff goes on in about 5-10mins and last twice as long on  car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×