Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tetonguy

Removing old pinstriping?

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

The fatctory tape stripes on my 04 Signature are looking old. I want to take them off. Any one have soem suggestions as to the easiest way to peel them off.

Heat Gun? Chemicals?

Thanks for your suggestions.

heat cut and pull,  maybe get a plastic scraper to help.  Go on amazon and find a rapid remover  adhesive remover spray.  expensive but that's tens times what goo gone would hope to be.  Its environmental friendly.  use that stuff to get the goo off. 

I was surfing those spinning rubber wheels. 1 brand said to not use them on plastic or fiberglass.  No explanation.......... But I would think you can over heat the surface.  If you are not experienced with difficult stuff.

Several of our group have done the hair dryer with excellent results.

I tried everything and what worked best for me was the 3m adhesive eraser wheel. It was also much faster than the other options. You do have to manage the heat but gotta do that with the heat gun too. If my memory is correct I got the easy stuff off with a heat gun and plastic razor blades. Then got the eraser wheel out for the stuff that did not want to come off. 

Any sticky goop left I think I got it with either rubbing alcohol or acetone, can't quite remember. 

The eraser wheel takes off everything including the glue.  Great tool.  Did all the pin striping on a 40 ft boat along with the name and reg numbers and had no burning.  The wheel gets smaller as you use it. 

yeah i agree with the eraser wheel.. they work great..  just use some common sense about how my pressure you're using and how hot it's getting..

I took mine off in October when it was 45* outside. Used a heat gun on low, boat was cold once the tape got warm it can right off.

As we are seeing by the posts.......... Some Tapes are a pure joy to remove. Glue sticks to the tape.