Upside

330 signature gas piston question

My boat is missing the 2 pistons on the stern compartments for shore power / battery switches.  I bought one and it snaps right on, and seems to function fine but you can't shut the door all the way with the piston attached.  Am I missing something? 

5ad2a987b9140_chaparral330sterncompartments.thumb.jpg.f997f305f8feed1bb16154398cfcc45c.jpg

Yeah ... the correct piston.

Seems that the cylinder is too long and/or travel distance is too short. Tell us what year is the boat and somebody might be able to give you the correct part number or specs.

13 hours ago, Upside said:

My boat is missing the 2 pistons on the stern compartments for shore power / battery switches.  I bought one and it snaps right on, and seems to function fine but you can't shut the door all the way with the piston attached.  Am I missing something? 

5ad2a987b9140_chaparral330sterncompartments.thumb.jpg.f997f305f8feed1bb16154398cfcc45c.jpg

Why not just move one on the mounts down so the door closes? Unless I am missing something.................

I have a 2004.  I looked up the specs in the parts guide and bought a piston with the same specs - 20" gas piston, compressed length 12", 8" stroke.  bought it from amazon.

But it seems the two mounting locations need to be just a couple inches from each other when the door is shut all the way, unless the top or bottom mount allows the piston to "slide" in somehow, I don't see how it would work.   Can someone confirm theirs is mounted with fixed mounts?

Mounted with fix mounts in what looks to be the same position.  23 625-SSID-8-20 GAS SHOCK SS 20LB 20 INCH - HEF-10M ENDS

And when you close the lid it doesnt hit the end of the compression at 12" and just stop closing? Mine hits the end of compression and is stuck half way open

It is not unheard of that Chap will use other similar part if they run out of stock, or instal whatever the worker decides. No two boats are build exactly same way. My boat has two sets of holes for hinges. One set for hinges that were supposed to be installed, and another for the hinges that were installed ... nothing surprises me anymore.

As Iggy's suggested, instead of guessing what the heck was or was not installed on your boat, just move one of the mounts to the correct location for the pistons you have now.