Sign in to follow this  
Kehrlide

Spring Cleaning Routine?

I was curious if anyone out there had a proven routine for getting the boat ready in the spring.  I leave my 264 Sunesta in the water all year under cover but it still gets coated with pollen.  I usually strip everything out of the boat, all canvases, carpet, cockpit pillows, head towels, microfiber cloths, life jackets and take home for a good wash.  

Anyone have some good suggestions for cleaning sunbrella canvases, and the boat carpets?  

Right now I am just using the home carpet steam cleaner on the carpets and laying the canvases on the driveway and hosing off and scrubbing with pole brush with soap, spraying off and using the 303 protection when it dries....it’s always a bear of a job so if anyone has a better faster way I’m all ears.  

As as far as the boat interior I usually just spray everything down and go over floors with the same pole brush and then microfiber towel everything else with the 303 cleaner.  

probably get a million answers.  But for exterior I always wash in the spring with dawn dish soap,  very nice mild cleaner that degreases and works really well.  I pull carperts and even do the inside.  Once that is done polish/ wax as needed.  Carpets I have found the easiest way in the world.  Take them out if there is trouble spots I use a brush with dish soap again.  Once scrubbed I used a pressure washer on the carpets in the driveway, 90% of the time don't even really need soap and they come out looking like new. 

That’s helpful on the carpets!  I appreciate it, I have been using Dawn on the canvases, I will try it on the carpets now too.  We have a two year old - so I notice the drips from her cups/snacks from last season have turned into dark stains now.... fun!  

2 minutes ago, Kehrlide said:

That’s helpful on the carpets!  I appreciate it, I have been using Dawn on the canvases, I will try it on the carpets now too.  We have a two year old - so I notice the drips from her cups/snacks from last season have turned into dark stains now.... fun!  

dawn strips waxes and protectants so it shouldn't be used all the time as every time you use it you should re wax etc.  But its the best cheap soap out there to clean.  usually with the pressure washer I don't even need soap on the carpet, but if I do I drip the soap on, scrub and spray off.

For vinyl one the best products out there is the 303 aerospace.  Non greasy works great.

I take my cockpit cover to the laundromat and use one of the large capacity washers.  $7 in quarters, 20 minutes and it is clean and only damp.  Put 303 on it and call it a day.  Been doing it for years this way.

Thanks!  That’s a good idea, I thought about putting into the washing machine but I have those front loading high efficiency washers and it tears up our clothes on the regular....I would lose it completely if it tore up my canvases but checking into a local laundromat is a great idea

Covers get washed, both sides, on a clean, no splinter, dock. Dried . Sealed on the outside surface only.

1 time  ?  A guest dropped a tray of food & oily dips on the carpet. Sent it to the dry cleaners. Perfect job.

I like the idea of doing it on the dock so the water drains thru -  good add!  Right now I’ve been doing on the concrete driveway and the water just sort of pools so I don’t think I’m getting as clean as I’d like.