watson524

Where do I put Old Glory??

15 posts in this topic

So in the pursuit of getting things ready for the season (which WILL eventually get here in NE PA), I'm picking up some odds and ends. On our current boat, the stern light pole goes into a socket on the gunwale and we clip the flag to that. On the new boat, the white light is up on the tower. Where do folks with new stern light poles fly your flags from? The tower tubing is too big for the clips and if I wrap something around that I'd be worried about chaffing.

And I'd prefer not to immediately cut a hole in my new boat if anyone was going to suggest installing a base in the gunwale.

Do you take the flag down at or before sundown ?   I simply put the flag on the Anchor Light mast. I put the white light on at night running. I do store it if not running at night.

My USN Navy genes win out.

Flag doesn't stay up when at the dock so it's never in dark. If we're out at nite, it goes up when the stern light goes on. Otherwise it's not up.... but the new boat presents two issues.... one, no more pole in the gunwale and two, I'd like to be able to fly it all the time, I just don't know from where.

A stern light mount is very good place. If the flag hangs limp or flutters a little to the bow ?   You are possibly breathing exhaust gasses if moving forward.

2 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

A stern light mount is very good place. 

Except for my comment about not wanting to drill holes in the new boat

I can't believe they still don't put a stern light socket in the deck if you have a tower or arch with an upper light. Not like it's a high dollar item. I guess if someone removes the tower for some reason, it's up to them to put one in.

You had me wondering but I just pulled up my pictures from our factory tour 2 weeks ago and our actual boat on the line and nope, no socket

Nope, boat is in the midst of shipping. Can't be a very big hole so maybe I will just end up doing it even tho it won't be the highest point anymore.

2 minutes ago, 270owner said:

I attached a perko flagpole mount onto the stern 1 1/4" rail.  it works great, and install is simple -- it's a clamp style fit.

Do you by chance have a picture? I think the only stern rail we have is the grab bar at the swim platform