scolba

Bike rack on 220ssi?

21 posts in this topic

Hey dudes. Still snowing in central il, so I’m forced to only dream of the upcoming season. :)

With that in mind, I’m scheming.

The first mate and I like to cruise the Illinois river, and make some stops at the towns along it, but we would like to venture off the river a bit further. So we are thinking of taking the bikes along this year. But I would really like to keep them up off the swim platform, if possible.

So I was wondering, has anybody ever experimented with a bike rack off the back of the sun-pad area? Maybe using the grab bar as a mounting point? Any ideas on which styles might work better for this? Any other ideas to keep me from spiraling into a still-winter-lack-of-boating-depression? Lol

thanks!

12 hours ago, scolba said:

Hey dudes. Still snowing in central il, so I’m forced to only dream of the upcoming season. :)

With that in mind, I’m scheming.

The first mate and I like to cruise the Illinois river, and make some stops at the towns along it, but we would like to venture off the river a bit further. So we are thinking of taking the bikes along this year. But I would really like to keep them up off the swim platform, if possible.

So I was wondering, has anybody ever experimented with a bike rack off the back of the sun-pad area? Maybe using the grab bar as a mounting point? Any ideas on which styles might work better for this? Any other ideas to keep me from spiraling into a still-winter-lack-of-boating-depression? Lol

thanks!

I'll be watching this post.  Thought of this often as we boat in Pittsburgh and there is also great biking.  Love to combine the two. 

The grab bar on the back of the motor box (sunpad) is not a good candidate to mount a bike rack to. Even if you could figure out how to attach it, I would be concerned it would apply  too much torque. Other than the integrated or extended swim platform, there is not much space on a 220SSi big enough for a bike...

brick

I suppose the torsional forces could be an issue, esp if wake/bouncing becomes an issue. 

So so I came across this. http://www.fendergrip.com/cg.html  Now, I’m not going to pay that many deer for that thing, but I do like the design. It focuses the weight down low, so the grab bar could be utilized for stability only with a strap, ensuring the forces are straight out.  So it makes me wonder if some large generic rack could be adapted in a similar manner....maybe something like this. Not sure if that would be tall enough though.

If these links are a no-no, let me know-know. :D

I used to have one made for a hatchback car.  Used it on my 1980 Celica Supra.

What about on the wakeboard racks of a tower. That would get some looks...

8 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I used to have one made for a hatchback car.  Used it on my 1980 Celica Supra.

Hahaha. I had a 1980 Supra, too! It was yellow...

brick

I've carried my bike a few times with me. But it is no fun. I've been trying to come up with an idea to carry it in a better way. My swim platform is the only other answer but it's teak and I don't really want to drill holes in it just for a few times I'll take the bike. 

2 hours ago, brick said:

Hahaha. I had a 1980 Supra, too! It was yellow...

brick

Great taste!  I loved that car, that long hood.  Had it 9 years.  Sold it to help pay for my first boat . . . 

My mom bought a 1979 Supra, first year they came out. She went to the Bahamas for vacation. Tom had a fun week after HS graduation.....

Too funny.  What are the odds?  Mine had the alloy wheels from an '86 Supra; looked really sharp.  Maroon in color . . . 

Ok, I wouldn't admit this elsewhere but I had a 1986 Celica GTS.  It was my first 'modern' car....had an electric moon roof, climate control and even had the power lumbar and a 2.0 liter 5 speed that moved out pretty decent for the day.  My buddy had a 1980 and my other buddy had a 86 Supra.

At one point my eldest sister had a '78 Celica coupe (wooden steering wheel and shift knob), my other sister had an '81 Celica hatchback, and I had the '80 Supra.

I'll admit it anywhere!  :D

Very interesting the Celica and 220 overlap!  (and 210, MomTom)

Oh oh, it is time to fess up!  My first car was a 58 Rambler Ambassador.  Big old boat of a car that only ran on seven of its eight cylinders.  It was popular with some buddies though because it had fold down seats.........a needed accessory for high schoolers!

20 minutes ago, brick said:

I had a yellow 67 corvair once...

brick

Unattractive At Any Speed ... just kidding, sir!

2 hours ago, brick said:

I had a yellow 67 corvair once...

brick

So that's where the yellow started!   :D

I started much later in life. My first car was a 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon. 350 Four barrel carb.....positrac automatic tranny.  Cranberry Velour interior with bucket seats. Power windows and door locks. A/C. No cruise control though.  I installed a sunroof on it. I was spoiled with it. My brother found it while making his rounds. An older couple sold it for 2K. I miss that car.

3 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Unattractive At Any Speed ... just kidding, sir!

Hahaha. 

LMYAO

brick

Sounds like you need a pair of folding bikes.

BTW- Mine was a "79 (?) Cadillac Sedan Deville.  Amazing how many people you can cram in the back seat.