Toddavid

My season almost ended today...

17 posts in this topic

Looks like its time for a little mitigation at least far enough back so nothing touches your gem, At least you will have alot of fire wood in the coming seasons

man thats close.........

Let me guess, It's a forrest preserve and you have no control.

11 hours ago, Toddler said:

man thats close.........

Let me guess, It's a forrest preserve and you have no control.

Bingo, nice guess!

It was a monster, it would have annihilated my boat.

Hoping to splash this weekend, she should be safer at our marina, no trees there!

4 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

Hoping to splash this weekend, she should be safer at our marina, no trees there!

Knock on wood . . . 

1 minute ago, Futzin' said:

Knock on wood . . . 

(yep, I did. Every time I see a marina fire reported, I cringe.)

I lost my first boat to a downed tree, and sustained damage to my second boat from a large downed limb.

Does the preserve pay for damages for negligence ?  I am sure you would have to pay them if your tree hit their property ?   Maybe they will agree to cut /trim trees that are a hazard to anything on your property ?

Have them cut up & remove their tree & pay for repairs to your fence.  Lawyer letter with photographs should do it.

Just now, cyclops2 said:

Does the preserve pay for damages for negligence ?  I am sure you would have to pay them if your tree hit their property ?   Maybe they will agree to cut /trim trees that are a hazard to anything on your property ?

Lots of trees have fallen over the last 10 years I've lived there, but none came this close. It's now on my list to have a chat with the township.

Just dropped a dead hickory for a neighbor that was 125' high and 4' diameter at the base. It was biased away from his house but we still cabled it to the tractor and loaded her up with pre-load. Dropped her within a foot of our target, but it still got my heart racing a little until it was on the ground. The neighbor made an appearance as he felt it hit the ground. By the end of the day I started to understand why the "cheap" tree guy wanted $1,800.   Can only imagine how much energy is stored up in there. I carried away sections that the tractor had trouble lifting, and she handles 1,300# easy.  I've cut and split out 4 full cord, and the pile of logs does not look any smaller. Windy winter here on the upper bay.  W

Wow, close call.  The house that I bought for the storage garage for my chap is on a large plot of land surrounded by some of the biggest trees I've seen here.  They are quite a site to look at but I dread the day one succumbs to a tornado or wind storm and crushed the house or outbuildings.  We lose lots of decent sized trees every year on this property due to wind which is a bummer actually but none nearly as big as the large trees.  I think some of them are now so old that they are at the tail end of their lives. 

2 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I lost my first boat to a downed tree, and sustained damage to my second boat from a large downed limb.

Well, I'm never parking my boat near yours!!  :o

1 hour ago, tomnjo said:

Well, I'm never parking my boat near yours!!  :o

How about in a cove somewhere??  :)

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

How about in a cove somewhere??  :)

That will work anytime!   :D