Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wijeff

Bellows replacement need input

13 posts in this topic

I have a 2006 chaparral with 140 hrs it is 5.0 volvo duo prop . Looking to replace the bellows . I see a bunch of talk about volvos new ones not the same quality and durability of the original or old ones 

Everything is going well alinement spot on, gimbal looked good, I pumped full of grease. I am  just debatin the bellows replacement they looks  good. It stored indoors since day one . It' like playing rushing roulette that I don't want to play. What is your input as the new ones quality and durability volvo put out today.  

Thanks it was a  very easy job to remove old bellow's and installation of new ones . I did learn that when you grease your gimbel bearing to have the motor and drive running to get the grease through out the whole race . Thanks everyone for your advice 

Edited by wijeff
Additional details

I had plan to do the same maintenance on my VP DPS-A drive last year. I had collected all needed replacement parts, seals, nuts, bellow kits etc. Then I have noticed that the gimbal bellows kit, the new part number, is quite different. Not only in form and material but also it mounts with only one clamp, the other end does not have a clamp anymore. The new bonding kit ordered at the same time still has a prong for this non existing clamp.

Any insight on how the clampless end needs to be mounted, any special tools needed? Any guidance and warnings would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know the difference between the old ones and new ones but if they are original and they are 12+ years old I would replace them. Because if they do fail they can sink a boat.

Just my 2 cents.

The old ones were more rubbery, the new ones are more of a flexible plastic. The new design is much better. I`d go ahead and change it. Fairly easy to do once you make the drive stand. Cheap part, cheap insurance. Also gives you a chance to inspect your U joints and gimbal.

2 hours ago, ColdOne said:

I don't know the difference between the old ones and new ones but if they are original and they are 12+ years old I would replace them. Because if they do fail they can sink a boat.

Just my 2 cents.

Not on a Volvo, the design is different that Merc.  If it was a Mercruiser it WILL sink a boat.  Salvaged MANY and typically the reason why it went down.

1 hour ago, The Great Escape II said:

Not on a Volvo, the design is different that Merc.  If it was a Mercruiser it WILL sink a boat.  Salvaged MANY and typically the reason why it went down.

Did not know that about Volvo. I have a Merc so I am aware.

2 hours ago, The Great Escape II said:

Correct.

Anyone no any good videos of the volvo bellow's installation seams all I find is mercury bellow's installation not volvo's 

On 4/22/2018 at 8:36 PM, Further said:

Thanks for your help got it together and was pretty easy to do . I had to do a bit of rework forgot the ground tabs now all is good thanks for everyone's input