takeahiketour

How Fast Does Your Boat Go?

What's your top speed? I feel like mine should be going faster... Planes in about 4 seconds and everything feels and sounds great but I max at 46 mph on GPS when I rat it at 4,900 RPM yesterday. Feels like I have more gas left in the throttle when it reads 4,900 but I know max is 5,000 so I don't want to push it down any further... 4 blade prop.

No clue. I've never clocked it. I do a short WOT about 3-4 times a year just to make sure it's running in the correct range.

3 hours ago, takeahiketour said:

What's your top speed? I feel like mine should be going faster... Planes in about 4 seconds and everything feels and sounds great but I max at 46 mph on GPS when I rat it at 4,900 RPM yesterday. Feels like I have more gas left in the throttle when it reads 4,900 but I know max is 5,000 so I don't want to push it down any further... 4 blade prop.

Put the hammmer down, she's got a rev limiter. I hit 56-57 best.

2 minutes ago, Mi3sons said:

Put the hammmer down, she's got a rev limiter. I hit 56-57 best.

Are you certain of that? I was under the impression that you can over-rev if your prop doesn't match the conditions.... If so that's great to know, I'm gonna do just that! All the fun happens past 50 mph...

42 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

On the Interstates.  :D

Drive South and it will go 75 in a slow lane ... :)

My 225 SSI with the 5.0 GXI into an SX will hit 45 on glass smooth water with about perfect conditions and 1-2 passengers.  On a perfect day, with the wind at my back, I've seen 47, but that was a 'unicorn' event. 

That's the one tiny thing I miss about my jet boat--60+ was doable in the right conditions.

Ok, so sounds like my speed is normal and my expectations are high. My 206 with 5.0 GXI would top out between 55-60. I do remember someone saying something about that one having a fast hull.

6 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Same here.

brick

63 best ever. Cool day, 89 octane, high barometer, slight wind, just me, almost empty fuel, and empty cooler. As one of our members discovered, to get that hull to 73 took about 3 grand per MPH.  W

13 hours ago, Richard W said:

Drive South and it will go 75 in a slow lane ... :)

Try traveling through Pittsburg where its posted 55mph on I79.  At times, I was doing 85mph just to keep up with other traffic [driving my car]. Its insane. Its a replica of I95 south of PBI. 

I haven't done a max speed test in awhile. Last I remember it was around 47.

23 hours ago, takeahiketour said:

Ok, so sounds like my speed is normal and my expectations are high. My 206 with 5.0 GXI would top out between 55-60. I do remember someone saying something about that one having a fast hull.

If you are getting 55 to 60, you are much faster than average.  My speedo shows 55mph when my GPS says 50mph. 

brick

2 hours ago, brick said:

If you are getting 55 to 60, you are much faster than average.  My speedo shows 55mph when my GPS says 50mph. 

brick

38 speedo vs. 33 gps.    Boat speedometers are good salesmen.

y4mrYb9KQzxYvwQR6ZXA-Cvl9WNgeDvuD4j_XB79

54 is 50 on mine. I'm accurate up to 30. After that 36 is 35, 42 is 40. 

5 hours ago, Daytripper said:

60+

I call... We need specs. I doubt any Chap gets 60+   

2 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I call... We need specs. I doubt any Chap gets 60+   

I can see a 236 with a 8.1L doing 60+ lightly loaded, at sea level and cool weather pretty easily.   I was hitting 53-54 on the GPS with 24p 3/3 props at 4700 WOT RPM with my 264 at 1100 ft above sea level on at 80 degrees.