Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gapple12

Play in steering wheel

11 posts in this topic

My 2006 Chaparral 246 SSI I just bought has a lot of play in the steering wheel. Would replacing the steering wheel fix this or is there another part that causes the play ?

What kind of play ?    The steering has slack when you turn the wheel - or is the wheel actually wiggling around?

Have someone definitely find what part is worn or loose.  Only buy that part.

Hold drive still while moving steering wheel back and forth. Look to see where your slop/ play comes from . Let us know what you find good luck

So, I was able to hold the drive and the steering wheel still moves both ways before the drive moves. My guess is the cable is worn from what I've read, but I'm not sure if that's an easy job or not. Could the steering box behind the wheel be warn ? Where can I find the part numbers for these items ? 

Yes it could be worn.

Find the end of the steering cable where it comes out of the sleeve. Hold that SPOT STILL.  Then move the steering wheel. That will show if the gear box gears are worn.

A loose steering gear box  can also look like worn out parts.        You can find the place. Stay with it. 

Loose steering wheel ?  Very rare.  Most are many splines.

21 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Try adjusting the cables before replacing them. 

How would you adjust them ? Is there just a nut and bolt on both ends ?

5 hours ago, Gapple12 said:

How would you adjust them ? Is there just a nut and bolt on both ends ?

The Teleflex rotary QCII steering system on your boat had an amount of slop even when brand new. If the gimbal ring, steering shaft and tiller arm are all in good shape without excess looseness, and you still want to eliminate the loose steering, you'll have to upgrade to a Teleflex HPS (high performance steering) rotary steering kit and required HPS style cable. NOTE: the HPS steering system is a little harder to turn while operating the boat, and you want to ensure you don't get the NFB (no feed back) style as you want the version for power steering.

Teleflex was purchased by SeaStar several years ago. I don't know if the HPS is superior or not to their XTREME Mechanical Steering line, but I think I would opt for the XTREME version. XTREME is 4.2 turns lock to lock, while HPS is 3.0 turns lock to lock. Seeing your boat has tilt steering, I think you would opt for:

SHX97626 XTREME™ Tilt Non-NFB Helm For OEM applications only 
SSCX64XX

XTREME™ QC Steering Cable 

Your current steering cable will have a part number stamped into it. The last 2 numbers will be the length in feet. Lets assume for a moment that your current steering cable is stamped with part # SSC6216. You would then order SSCX6416 to get the equivalent length XTREME cable. You want the OEM version to allow you current Chaparral steering wheel to fit. OEM version has splines vs 3/4" tapered shaft with key.

Hope this helps.

Chris

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/mechanical-steering/xtreme-mechanical-steering/