dh20

18 month old fuel advice

2007 - 256 SSI -  496 Merc

I stored my boat in September of 2016 with a full tank and fuel stabilizer. What, if anything should I expect after having it sit for a season by way or eliminating any bad fuel etc... It's not like I can empty 60GL so wondering if I need to add something to the tank to avoid potential condensation or how can I reduce the risk of bad fuel after sitting for 18 months?

I trailer the boat so there could be 10% ethanol in the tank as I fill up at gas stations rather than the marina.

thanks

Is it Ethanol fuel stored in the tank? You could siphon it out and use it for the lawnmower, or at least dilute it enough with new gas to get some use out of it. I`d probably put a can of octane boost and seafoam in it and try to run it.

If it contains ethanol, I would have the fuel pumped and replaced. Cheaper than water damage...

if it is pure gas, I would be tempted to run it out. Carry some spare fuel filters, and note that it has likely dropped in Octane rating, so I would avoid full throttle runs. 

safest way is to  pump it and start over...

brick

I faced a similar situation when I purchased my Chap from the original owner. He stored it with a half full tank of fuel, but it was a couple of years old. I chose to pump all the fuel out and then I used it in my TrailBlazer as a blend with pump gas 50 / 50 till it was all used up. Never had a problem. To pump it out I used an electric fuel pump that I connected to the tank line leading to the fuel filter. I then ran the hose thru the transom drain hole into my gas cans. Have a fire extinguisher near of course. I had lots of gas cans that got filled up!

Canada is cool summers &  dry weather in summer compared to USA & the Florida gas. 

I have skipped a full year on the St Lawrence River with 0 % Ethanol from Canada marina. Tank had 1/4 full. I ran at about 3000 rpms to the fuel dock & filled with marine 0% Ethanol. High test. No problems at all.

Your concern is.  Was any water ever allowed to get into the tank ? Leaking in gas cap ?  Cap left off during rains ?  Always a tough question to get a accurate answer.

I vote pump it out to be safe.

19 minutes ago, SterndriveEd said:

I faced a similar situation when I purchased my Chap from the original owner. He stored it with a half full tank of fuel, but it was a couple of years old. I chose to pump all the fuel out and then I used it in my TrailBlazer as a blend with pump gas 50 / 50 till it was all used up. Never had a problem. To pump it out I used an electric fuel pump that I connected to the tank line leading to the fuel filter. I then ran the hose thru the transom drain hole into my gas cans. Have a fire extinguisher near of course. I had lots of gas cans that got filled up!

I kind a like this option but if need be.

IMO I'd start it in he drive and see how it runs for a while. My guy says it should be fine for 2 years with stabilizer in it. You'll need to run it to see.

Years ago, when I had my overheat situation, the boat sat for a year [treated]. I looked into having a hazmat company pump it out. It was expensive. I didn't do it. My mechanic at the time kept telling me over and over "don't waste your time, its fine". When he put it all back together. if fired up just fine and has run great ever since.  Actually, better than before. My exhaust will push the boat 1mph while in neutral.  

Not quite the same scale as a boat, but I have a portable generator at home that typically has 9 gallons of gas in it with little usage (we average about one major power outage every 2-3 years, but for that one, it's worth having the generator).  About every 2-2.5 years I siphon the tank and replace the gas.  What comes out goes into the mower cans.  I've never had a problem with it--runs like a top in the mowers.

put a new fuel filter on run it dry, put a new filter on with fresh gas.  You can dilute the bi products of ethanol fuel its still there regardless.  Fuel just doesn't degrade into molasses either.  If you put stabilizer in it, with filters you would probably be ok.