Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ColdOne

Boat won't start. No power

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Went to start the boat today and I have no power. I have checked the kill switch, verified batteries are good, blower, bilge, refrigerator, engine hatch, lights all work fine just no power to gauges or engine. I have reset all breakers under the helm and at the switch panel, still no power. I've reseated any plug type connection in the engine bay and I still have nothing. The 20 amp breaker on the engine I have pushed several times but it appears to be frozen .....very little travel on the button if any at all. Is that normal?

Anyway thought I would ask the group here if there are any other thoughts on what the issue might be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only quick thing I can think of is to make sure it is not in gear.  That will cause the engine to not even turn over.

The breaker could be bad, they do go bad.  You should also check the 90 amp fuse on the starter.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dsmacey. 

I did verify I was in neutral several times and will have to check the breakers and the fuse but does that explain no power to the gauges?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ColdOne said:

Hi all,

Went to start the boat today and I have no power. I have checked the kill switch, verified batteries are good, blower, bilge, refrigerator, engine hatch, lights all work fine just no power to gauges or engine. I have reset all breakers under the helm and at the switch panel, still no power. I've reseated any plug type connection in the engine bay and I still have nothing. The 20 amp breaker on the engine I have pushed several times but it appears to be frozen .....very little travel on the button if any at all. Is that normal?

Anyway thought I would ask the group here if there are any other thoughts on what the issue might be.

Take the top plastic cover off of your engine and you will see a line of small, plug-in relays right next to your ECM. One will be marked trim up, one trim down, one fuel pump, and one MAIN. My bet is that the main one has failed. Good news is, they are cheap. To test the theory, pull the trim up relay and swap it out with the MAIN. (same part number) If turning the key then fires up the gauge cluster then just buy a new relay. I carry a spare with me.  W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to the alt output post and see if battery voltage  is there

then locate the slave solenoid and short the 2 large lugs, 

report results

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you pull the batteries for winter? Forget to reconnect a ground cable?

brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bt Doctur said:

Go to the alt output post and see if battery voltage  is there

then locate the slave solenoid and short the 2 large lugs, 

report results

Yes, start at the battery with a voltmeter and work your way forward. Meaning battery, than cables, do you have power at the battery switch and keep going?

You are saying that you have no power to turn anything on, yes? So a load test will not help at the point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Take the top plastic cover off of your engine and you will see a line of small, plug-in relays right next to your ECM. One will be marked trim up, one trim down, one fuel pump, and one MAIN. My bet is that the main one has failed. Good news is, they are cheap. To test the theory, pull the trim up relay and swap it out with the MAIN. (same part number) If turning the key then fires up the gauge cluster then just buy a new relay. I carry a spare with me.  W

W. - tried this today without success. Appreciate the suggestion as I was really hopeful that this was the issue as it was an easy thing to do and would have been a cheap fix......for once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, brick said:

Did you pull the batteries for winter? Forget to reconnect a ground cable?

Brick - Thanks for the suggestion that was # 2 on my checklist after making sure the switch was on.

I have verified the batteries are good and they all check out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what about voltage at the alt output post?  What about jumping the slave solenoid.

If no power at the alt then suspect the 90A fuse link is blown on the starter post,

jumping the slave would confirm no power to the system.either from the fuse , missing connection or a corroded battery cable fitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similar issue on a previous boat.... ended up being the ground cable was not tightly connected to the lug and wasn't making contact.  Only found out cause I bumped the ground cable....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to close this out I ended up taking the boat to the marina as I don't know much about to troubleshoot the electric components of an engine. Anyway I didn't get to talk to the mechanic as he was at lunch and the lady at the front desk told me it was a blown fuse "down under" that cost me 35 deer + another 85 to find and repair. So I'm up and running now and get more details later when I talk to the mechanic.

What was strange was I put the batteries in this year I took it straight to a place to have the bottom painted and everything was good, I think. But when I got the boat back and it wouldn't start the first thing I checked were the batteries and the connections and everything appeared to be OK but I noticed on the starting battery some burn spots like the terminals were shorted. Hmmm :glare: . So all I can think of what happened if I had asked the guy who did the bottom painting is if he could tighten the ladder on my ESP and that either on his way in or out he had a wrench in his hand and he accidentally made contact with both battery terminal's.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or a battery got hooked up backwards. I've seen that more than once and most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 5:08 PM, Mi3sons said:

Or a battery got hooked up backwards. I've seen that more than once and most likely.

My gut says really highly odds of this exact scenario being the culprit...classic symptoms for MerCruiser power of won't crank, no power to gauges but everything else works and batteries are connected. Only takes an instant to fry that 90 amp breaker if the battery cables touch the wrong battery posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0