wijeff

Ground strap with tabs on outdrive

5 posts in this topic

Just wondering why there is grounding wires with tabs on the out drive running from drive to the hose clamps on the bellows. If anyone has a idea please share thanks 

Bonding wire that keeps electrical potential the same for all submerged metal components. Big mix of dissimilar metals running around back there, and if anodes are to work properly and become the "sacrificial lamb", then all the metal parts and pieces need to be bonded as one.  Some bellows have a ground tab incorporated into the end that makes contact with the clamp ID as it's tightened, but that tab is a good place for a leak to happen as it contacts the transom plate and gimbel at their sealing surfaces and personally I like the external cables better.  W

On 4/25/2018 at 5:39 AM, Wingnut said:

Bonding wire that keeps electrical potential the same for all submerged metal components. Big mix of dissimilar metals running around back there, and if anodes are to work properly and become the "sacrificial lamb", then all the metal parts and pieces need to be bonded as one.  Some bellows have a ground tab incorporated into the end that makes contact with the clamp ID as it's tightened, but that tab is a good place for a leak to happen as it contacts the transom plate and gimbel at their sealing surfaces and personally I like the external cables better.  W

Wingnut you are an asset to all boaters here thanks once again 

4 hours ago, wijeff said:

Wingnut you are an asset to all boaters here thanks once again 

Nah, my cousin is a nuclear engineer on a fast attack missile sub and he won't listen to a thing I say. No, really. Hard to believe, I know. W

4 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Nah, my cousin is a nuclear engineer on a fast attack missile sub and he won't listen to a thing I say. No, really. Hard to believe, I know. W

It's not what one learns in a lifetime its how much one can share their time in life