Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SG Boater

Multiple Towables

45 posts in this topic

For those of you that have the funky recessed tow eyes, and a swim platform that covers the tie downs on back, any way to tow multiple towables?  Besides skiing, wakeboarding and kneeboarding, I have commonly pulled two tubes when we have guests, attaching one to the ski eye and one to the tie down on my 1830.  But with the 210 we have now, the ESP covers the tie downs and that tow eye is too small for two tube ropes.  

I added two ski eyes to my transom years ago.  Be careful if you do this.  Make sure there is plenty of material thickness and add extra backing.  I don't pull tubes but often pull multiple skiers and/or 'boarders.  The three eyes really help with spacing.

y4mFgeNryQIEf1ZsCbhv8Dkn6hiYCmvXfohlb0ze

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

I added two ski eyes to my transom years ago.  Be careful if you do this.  Make sure there is plenty of material thickness and add extra backing.  I don't pull tubes but often pull multiple skiers and/or 'boarders.  The three eyes really help with spacing.

Just a great picture!

Can you just feed the ropes from the tie downs under the swimplatform? The platform is pretty high off of the water once the boat is underway.

That bridle has two hooks so I'm guessing it hooks to the two tie downs and then you connect towables to the loop?  Appears to be kink of like the old cables that hooked to the tie downs and had an attachment point with pulley that rode along the cable.  Trouble is my tie downs are about dead center vertically of the ESP, and the ESP is about 6" tall right behind the tie down.  An attached rope is going to ride on the top or bottom of the ESP and I'm concerned with putting that force.  May be ok, but ???  But possibly I can just take a section of rope with a loop at each end (maybe a 1" or less between loops), hook one loop to the eye and the two towable ropes to the other loop.  Effectively just move attachment point back a 1"?  I question if that would work with multiple skiers since they would be going opposite directions, but tubes and the like will be moving in the same direction, ie swing the same way, so may work.  Haven't used the boat enough to see if the ropes would clear under the ESP on plane, but I'm thinking out of the hole when the bow rises the rope would be up against the back edge of the ESP.  Lot of force if that's the case.  And I know the rope would always be hitting the lower edge of the ESP right at the tie down.  I fitted the boat with a bow cover last week (30 screw in snaps) and added hatches in each console for storage like Tomnjo did so I can cut into the glass without having a heart attack.  I have considered adding another tow eye, but I had no idea how much reinforcement was needed.  In fact, i've often wondered how the factory ones can hold up with all that force.  

SG, I was thinking you could use that bridle backwards.  Hook the single end to your boat and the two other ends to each ski rope maybe.

I'm planning on taking it out this weekend so will look how everything sits in the water and verify what I am thinking relating to tie down position vs. ESP and height above water.  I hadn't thought about reversing that bridle.  I'm not sure about having the connection point 9' back if that's what the 9' is describing, but maybe something quite a bit shorter.  having the two clips would be easier than one loop for sure.

The reverse bridle would have the two tubes connected to a single connection point. Lots of stress there. The tubes would also ride side by side against each other. Not sure if that's what you desire.

That's how we got seven (7) skiers up behind my BiL's Sunesta 223 (5.0 Merc, Alpha 1, 4 blade alum) many moons ago.  Two skis each and a much younger group.  The transom lived, somehow.  Gotta dig up those pics . . . 

Seven skiers with a 5.0?? There are those who will say that is impossible.  :scratchchin:  :D

There are also those who say a 5.0 will never move a boat with 4 200+ pounds seniors.   :haha-7383:

Just pulling your chain, Cy.  :D

1 hour ago, tomnjo said:

Seven skiers with a 5.0?? There are those who will say that is impossible.  :scratchchin:  :D

Oh, it happened.  Long, long pull but we did it.  I've posted pics before under 'Seven Up' but the pics were Photobucketed.  Now they're Botophucketed . . . 

Yeah. I downloaded all of mine from PB back to my computer and then immediately uploaded them up to Onedrive. Wasn't too time consuming. Just had to set up yet another account with yet another username and password. Ugh, that's always the worst part for me.

I do remember your pic, though. Don't think I knew it was a 5.0

On 4/26/2018 at 9:38 AM, Futzin' said:

Wow, 5 on a single ski. I'll assume they all started that way, and from in the water. Your boat must have a great hole shot, or they can hang on. I can barely get up on one behind my 2000 250 hp 232 sunesta because it takes so long to get out of the water. 

We have had four up behind my boat. Easy. 

There is no way to use the transom tie downs when the boat has an ESP. We tied off the the transom cleats, which are above the height of the ESP.

brick

Cleats SHOULD be more than strong enough for a skier. Ever see the brutal yanks on them during storm waves ?  Just be sure the rope is clear of the fiberglass to prevent rubbing. 

44 minutes ago, cjm13905 said:

Wow, 5 on a single ski. I'll assume they all started that way, and from in the water. Your boat must have a great hole shot, or they can hang on. I can barely get up on one behind my 2000 250 hp 232 sunesta because it takes so long to get out of the water. 

Yes, came up on one each.  Parents and their kids; really cool.  They're all good skiers; came up second attempt.  I forget why they're wearing bandanas . . . 

3 hours ago, tomnjo said:

y4mRdOF6qEMRJ9TQZ3Bu9QhLHgVTUGHcGwHVfpvl

Dunno how they rigged this mess of ropes to the ski eye . . . 

Back when I was a kid at the lake I grew up on one of the families had a mid 70's Mark Twain, 15 1/2' that they put a Mercury 150 outboard on when their 115 died.  They pulled up the neighbor family of 5, 3 on slaloms, 2 on pairs.  But then again, 15' and 16' glastrons and Mark Twains with 85 hp outboards were the norm back then and people made them work.

I'd wondered about using the cleats in the past on boats I had with surface mount cleats, but never needed to so didn't.  But with the pop up cleats I have on this boat didn't think it was strong enough.  I haven't looked close yet, but I assumed a pretty good hole had to be cut for the cleat to recess into.  

10 minutes ago, SG Boater said:

Back when I was a kid at the lake I grew up on one of the families had a mid 70's Mark Twain, 15 1/2' that they put a Mercury 150 outboard on when their 115 died.  They pulled up the neighbor family of 5, 3 on slaloms, 2 on pairs.  But then again, 15' and 16' glastrons and Mark Twains with 85 hp outboards were the norm back then and people made them work.

I'd wondered about using the cleats in the past on boats I had with surface mount cleats, but never needed to so didn't.  But with the pop up cleats I have on this boat didn't think it was strong enough.  I haven't looked close yet, but I assumed a pretty good hole had to be cut for the cleat to recess into.  

Ha. The old Mark Twain V Sonic hulls. I don't know if anyone outside of the Midwest has ever heard of them. Still don't know what V Sonic meant, but it sounded good. 

My 1978 Browning-Aerocraft Monte Carlo 2 in the background in this pic.  Great boat, straight-6 Merc.

y4mP-h24QQZ9fgKlVmxTdmYt1Jd67IJh98HJ95LD