Sign in to follow this  
johnmullaly

IAC valve

Was reading over the winter and stumbled acroos the topic of iac valves and them going bad. Read that how most people were saying around 300 hours and they stop working. So I ordered one while the boat was in storage. Got the boat out and discovered I had a differant valve, early 2000's. Not the one everyone is ordering Motorcraft to replace. So my question is was this type of iac valve also prone to a short life? I'll try to attach a generic pic of what I have.  2002 5.7l mpi merc

IB00060736.jpg

Go to your nearest dealer, they'll get you set up.

Sometimes it's just better to have a good repore with your nearest dealer.

15 hours ago, johnmullaly said:

Was reading over the winter and stumbled acroos the topic of iac valves and them going bad. Read that how most people were saying around 300 hours and they stop working. So I ordered one while the boat was in storage. Got the boat out and discovered I had a differant valve, early 2000's. Not the one everyone is ordering Motorcraft to replace. So my question is was this type of iac valve also prone to a short life? I'll try to attach a generic pic of what I have.  2002 5.7l mpi merc

IB00060736.jpg

NAPA can cross reference a valve for your ride, but these units need to be sized correctly as they precisely control idle air mixture. Your unit looks like the type used on early 1990's GM V-6 MPI vehicles. This type can be damaged during installation if the plunger is extended too far. Read the directions as they will tell you how to retract the plunger, and also how to allow the ECM to self calibrate after installation.   W

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/DEMCV10019

Using the throttle only button on the shirt-throttle lever will allow you to open the throttle for starting in the event the IAC valve fails.  Then you can just get the IAC valve replaced after (if it ever does) fail.  I would not consider an IAC valve a maintenance or emergency repair item to have onboard.  I would recommend cleaning or replacing the IAC valve filter on an annual basis.  I have seen them get clogged often.