Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onesaintsfan

Mixing of drive oil

4 posts in this topic

Just changed the gear oil out in my Alpha 1 sterndrive on a 2005 SSI 5.0 2bl.  Used Merc 80w-90 Gear oil.  Thought I had enough.  I didn’t.  So finished off with about 6-8 oz of Valvoline 75w-90 full synthetic gear oil.  Filled the reservoir with it as well.  I would think since 95% of it is the recomended Gear oil itvwill all mix and no big deal.  Correct?  Boat gets very light use.  Not even 30hrs a season.  So am I ok or is the boat going to grenade itself?  Don’t live near a parts store

Its probably ok, you'll know if you start having shifting an/or engagement issues, then I'd replace the fluid.  It won't grenadine, it's usually the clutches that act up first.  

17 hours ago, onesaintsfan said:

Just changed the gear oil out in my Alpha 1 sterndrive on a 2005 SSI 5.0 2bl.  Used Merc 80w-90 Gear oil.  Thought I had enough.  I didn’t.  So finished off with about 6-8 oz of Valvoline 75w-90 full synthetic gear oil.  Filled the reservoir with it as well.  I would think since 95% of it is the recomended Gear oil itvwill all mix and no big deal.  Correct?  Boat gets very light use.  Not even 30hrs a season.  So am I ok or is the boat going to grenade itself?  Don’t live near a parts store

You will be fine, but if it were me I'd upgrade to the Merc HP lube during the next oil change. Most dealer can't understand why Merc even still offers their "Premium" lube anymore. W

•  

Yep, end of the season I’ll swap it out. I doubt it’s even 5% of the total gear oil in the system.  Just making sure.  Thx