Sign in to follow this  
Gapple12

Correct Chaparral gel coat color

I have some missing gel coat or paint on the bottom of my boat from previous owner running the boat up on a beach. Its a small area but I want to paint it. Had a buddy tell me to use a gel coat kit, but when I look to purchase the white color patch kit, there are a few different white colors to choose. Any way to figure out what white I have ? Its a 2006 Chaparral 246 SSI Red and white. Pic attached. 

IMG_7428.jpg

1 hour ago, Mi3sons said:

I believe its mission white.

Yes, when I type in Chaparral/white on iboats.com under boat gel coat, that is what I get. But, I get 3 different kit part numbers for 2000-2015 mission white color boat gel coat. There is also a revolution mission white color. 

https://www.iboats.com/shop/paint-and-maintenance/fiberglass-and-epoxy-boat-repair/boat-gel-coat-repair.html?find=chaparral-white-10538997&finder=26

Being on the bottom of the boat at least it doesn't have to be an exact match as it will generally not be seen.

56 minutes ago, Gapple12 said:

Yes, when I type in Chaparral/white on iboats.com under boat gel coat, that is what I get. But, I get 3 different kit part numbers for 2000-2015 mission white color boat gel coat. There is also a revolution mission white color. 

https://www.iboats.com/shop/paint-and-maintenance/fiberglass-and-epoxy-boat-repair/boat-gel-coat-repair.html?find=chaparral-white-10538997&finder=26

I see only one color for your year: Mission White.

Revolution White is for model year 2015 as it states in your link.

44 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

I see only one color for your year: Mission White.

Revolution White is for model year 2015 as it states in your link.

Your right, I missed the year part. I ordered the mission white. Even if its off some, no one will ever see it. 

I attempted a gelcoat repair last Fall on my swim platform.  I purchased, I believe it was the Spectrum Color paste kit.  It was actually a lot easier than I expected.  The only problem I had and I couldn't solve was air pockets in the repair area.  But it hardens quickly and once you sand it it shines right up to a perfect color match.

yes you gel coat a boat not paint.  typically most kits you buy have white in it but also either a yellow or tan.  They also provide a color chip so you can add the right amount of coloring.  IN reality as long as its a small spot youll never see it specially if its on the bottom.