Sign in to follow this  
cigarzfan

My feelings would be that it is

Let me just say I want to be prepared for an upcoming discussion with mechanic and want to be fair.

Outdrive was making a funny sound. Played it over the phone with local mechanic. He said could be bad gimble joint or u-joint and to bring it in. He pulled outdrive to check gimble. He said it looked okay. He went to u-joints. Said they looked good. He wanted to check a little further and tried to take cap off of a part. There were four bolts. Two came off, but two broke. He said he spent this afternoon drilling out the bolts. He will revisit them tomorrow to see if he can back them out (if not he will retap).

In short, I am concerned about paying several hundred dollars labor over a couple of broken bolts. ($90.00 an hour).

Anyone else have this issue with boat repair? Do we split cost? What is fair?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunatly it is the nature of the beast due to corrosion between metals to frequently deal with broken bolts. If every time the tech had to be responsable for this he would change the way he makes a living. It is the responsability of the owner to bear the cost as unpleasent as it may be. We always treat with a anti corrosion when assembling the parts after taking them apart. Most techs will not bill for every minute, but deserve to earn a living. Good luck with the noise & hope it goes well.

My feelings would be that it is your responsibility - unless you can prove that it was the mechanic acting or working in a negligent manner (taking the bolts off with a sledgehammer?) it is part of the work and he should be compensated for it.

now, the point of compensation will always be debated. I get at arms with a programmer about the number of billable hours and rates he charges me for a task. If I don't want to pay his rate - I do it myself.

You didn't note much about the boat - is it a newer boat or an older boat....what is the maintenance history - does this mechanic perform the maintanance....????

Like the others stated, unless you can prove it his fault for breaking the bolts...it's on your tab. There are many types of mechanical jobs where bolts are gonna break, it's the nature of the beast. Now granted, some broken bolts are easy to remedy, others aren't. Since a lot of marine is stainless steel into cast aluminum, it's critical to get it right and may take a little longer in order to not screw-up a housing.

Be happy that I'm not working on it. My rule is that if I draw blood...that's $40 right off the bat! :lol:

Thanks for followup comments. As for age of boat: it is a 1998 and we are in Florida, so there was some corrosion. Don't think he is going to overcharge, just hate to pay hundreds of dollars for nothing.

Speaking from personal experience..... [bloodyNucklesMultipleCurseWords] a broken bolt, ESPECIALLY in a boat that's seen saltwater is definitely something. I spent the better part of two summers restoring a 70's era boat in the 90's. The boat was used in saltwater prior to restoration..... been sitting for 15+ years...... needless to say many a bolts were broken in the process.... some easy to extract... some a total.... well lets just say i can't use that language here... ;)

Thanks for followup comments. As for age of boat: it is a 1998 and we are in Florida, so there was some corrosion. Don't think he is going to overcharge, just hate to pay hundreds of dollars for nothing.

One of the joys of boat ownership. Paying a lot of money in upkeep to play on the water.

.... well lets just say i can't use that language here... ;)

Yes you can....you are the moderator....who is going to censor you :D