Sign in to follow this  
DarkMantle

How do you trip the DC circuit breakers?

Below the cockpit control pedestal there's two rows of breakers on my Signature 270. How do you trip the #%^$&%$ things manually?  Am I missing something?  

I wanted to shut down the fridge while the rest of the boat was still on. Figured that would be a way to do it instead of just turning off the battery. 

Great question.

Most normal circuit breakers can be operated just like a switch. You should be able to simply move the lever to a off position. The opposite position it is in now.  With the battery on or off.

1 hour ago, DarkMantle said:

I wanted to shut down the fridge while the rest of the boat was still on. Figured that would be a way to do it instead of just turning off the battery. 

On my Sig 290, If shore power was turned off, than the batteries would take over. The same for the reverse. But my D.C. breaker is a push button, not a switch. On the D.C. side, I added a switch to shut the fridge off. I installed under the galley sink, but it can go anywhere.

For me, when its on the hard, in the winterizing and commissioning her. Shore power is a far reach and I don't need the fridge running. So the switch to turn it off came in handy.

Chances are the fridge has an internal thermostat that can be set to a desired temp, or to OFF, ZERO (0) ... whatever its dial says. The dial in my boat's fridge needs to be slightly forced into OFF position ... it feels like a switch click when getting it to the OFF position.

On 07/05/2018 at 0:34 AM, Richard W said:

Chances are the fridge has an internal thermostat that can be set to a desired temp, or to OFF, ZERO (0) ... whatever its dial says. The dial in my boat's fridge needs to be slightly forced into OFF position ... it feels like a switch click when getting it to the OFF position.

Thanks everyone. And thanks Richard. I tried as you suggested and a slight force does go into the off detent. Its an Indel fridge.