takeahiketour

Styrofoam as bumper buoy

16 posts in this topic

Thinking about nailing two 4’ by 8” by 8” pieces of styrofoam from my new tv to my dock where I pull in in lieu of spending a couple hundred on buoys. Only needs to last four months... thoughts? On performance, not appearance! I realize it’s tacky :)

On our lake you will get fined by the Army Corp for using foam.  They will not even renew dock permits until any old foam floats are removed. Pollutes waterways.  

If you want to be cheap.  Go to a marina and look in the dumpster for any old fenders.  If they are Taylor Maid and have holes in them take them to West Marine.  Some of their locations will swap them out for free.

After every storm in our area. Just pick them up in any down wind bay area.

Get 4 fenders and keep them on the boat so you can use them again next season. 

I would think that the foam would scratch the sides of the boat.

Boating is not a cheap sport.  buy the bumpers to protect something that would cost alot to fix

look on craigslist.  old bumpers can be cleaned up to look like new.  if they are flat there should be a valve on them to fill them up with air.

15 minutes ago, rreale said:

Boating is not a cheap sport.  buy the bumpers to protect something that would cost alot to fix

look on craigslist.  old bumpers can be cleaned up to look like new.  if they are flat there should be a valve on them to fill them up with air.

And add covers, keeps the side of the boat looking new.

1 hour ago, mpm330 said:

I would think that the foam would scratch the sides of the boat.

shouldn't it.  Only way it might is if something got stuck in it.  With that said I don't why you would trash to protect your boat. 

Bumpers can be found on ebay for good prices and then you got them forever.

They are called "Fenders". A bumper is on your truck and a buoy is a float tethered to something either as a marker or for retrieving. 

That is the type I use on my dock. The 2 holes allow them to float sideways  against the dock. I use 2 short pulled snuggly lines tied to the dock vertical boards. That way the fenders are locked at the water level. Wakes & waves can not toss them on to the dock at all.  Great in a strong storm.

I ended up getting the rectangular hull hugger kind on clearance from Walmart for 8 each, they worked great because there's enough plastic overhang on the ends to nail them to the dock, no rope needed and they're not going anywhere.