Jethro1

1992 2000 SLC Chaparral 225D V8 Volvo Penta

Can anyone give me their thoughts about this boat that I'm thinking about buying?  The Volva Penta outdrive,good quality?  Good for skiing? The asking price is $3000

8 hours ago, Jethro1 said:

Can anyone give me their thoughts about this boat that I'm thinking about buying?  The Volva Penta outdrive,good quality?  Good for skiing? The asking price is $3000

Volvo Penta can be fun looking parts up, but most things are probably still available. Think the engine itself is either a GM sourced 305 or 350 cid small block V8.

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-cat-7743320.aspx

Should be a decent boat all around for you. If I was interested in purchasing the boat, I would certainly install an aftermarket extended swim platform. Makes it so much easier and safer to get on the boat as well as additional room. Price? So much depends on the condition of the boat. Stringers, drive, bellows, floor, gel coat, etc. etc.

Highly recommend getting a marine survey completed. Piece of mind should you decide to buy, and helps with possible price negotiation should something expensive be found and needed.

http://swimplatforms.com/showImages.php?mk=304

Chaparral_2000_&_2050_SL_a4.jpg

Chaparral_2000_&_2050_SL_a2.jpg

As Shep said, my primary concern would be the wood in the structure if the floor, stringers and transom.  You literally need to dig into what you cannot see.  If you are not careful you could end up with a rotten boat.  Happens to the best of us.

Thank you. The seller said the previous owner had replaced "some wood" by drivers seat but wasn't sure why. It is also a dual prop set up ( where both props need to be replaced presently) and as I live on a pond with many shallow spots, I'm going to pass on this boat and look for something a little smaller. Thank you guys for your help,appreciated.  Tom

I think you are making the right call in the long run.  Lots of boats out there, just gotta sort bad from good.  Good Luck with your search.