Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lots2learn

Advice for enlarging speaker hole

8 posts in this topic

We just bought a 2011 246 with factory sound including the Panasonic speakers.  Last week my wife told me the the quality of sound was "kinda embarrassing".  That's my queue to upgrade.  I've found some Clarion coaxial speakers that I like but the diameter for the hole to insert the speaker needs to be 5.67 inches and the factory cut is 5.50.  According to my calculations I need to remove 1/8 of an inch around the circumference.  My thought was to use a Rotozip if they make a sanding bit strong enough to sand fiberglass.  Otherwise, I suspect attempting to cut 1/8 inch around the circumference will be very difficult.  Any suggestions?  

When I read your post, my first thought was a Rotozip, but then I thought about the fiberglass (yikes!) and also wondered if that was a good choice.  I'm now thinking a sanding drum / wheel mind be best - the kind you might use with a Dremel tool.  Use something to mark the area to be removed, even a sharpie marker to make that 1/8" mark around the existing hole, and then use the drum sanding attachment to a corded/cordless drill to sand away the extra material.  Once your mark is gone, you'll know you've gone as far as you need to.   Have your vacuum there and running to minimize the mess!

Dremel with a cutting bit (similar to drywall cutting bit) works really well. As suggested use a vaccum while cutting.

Have you tried to put the new speaker into the existing hole ?  Might get lucky ?

ALL fiberglass grinding requires a REAL face mask.  To catch those glass fibers that can stick  into your lungs. Mine was $ 28 years ago.

Thanks gentlemen.  I may may just go with the JL Audio 6.5 which would require no grinding or cutting.  

It's easier than you think , dremel or rotozip will do fine.  I cut out 2 10s 2 8s and had to enlarge 4 6.5s last year. Used a dremel on all because i couldn't find my rotozip.  When I enlarged the 6.5s I just traced a temple of the side of the hole and sliced like a small cresent out.

Those factory panasonics have a large spread pattern. Some 6.5" are on the verge of not covering the original footprint. If space around the speaker permitted, Id consider going with a larger speaker like the Kicker KM8. If you are going to enlarge the hole, make it worth while.