watson524

1/2" x 10' Navy blue dock line with loop?

30 posts in this topic

I'm just full of questions now that we actually have the new boat (too bad it's raining cats and dogs and all we can do is go to the dock to make sure things are ok).

I'm looking for 1/2" x 10' navy blue nylon dock lines with the pre-done loop. We have 25' and 15' but really that leaves a lot of extra length in them. I'd like to get a few 10' lines but I can't find them with the loop in navy. I've checked West Marine, Overtons, iBoats, and Amazon. I mean if Amazon doesn't have them, I'm assuming they can't be had but thought I'd ask.

thanks!

I think the shortest I have seen is 15'.  

You bought the boat with trailer to be able to travel, right? I wouldn’t be caught with such short lines on board when traveling to new destinations. Unless, of course, you have longer backups on board. Better safe than sorry, like when boating on water with tidal swings.

7 minutes ago, mpm330 said:

I think the shortest I have seen is 15'.  

+1

If you really want 10-footers, you might just have to buy the longer lines and cut them.   If you started with 25' lines, at least that would leave you with 15' of useful line material.   I'm not sure what you'd do with a leftover 5' section from a 15 footer.....maybe it could be used with a fender...?

38 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

You bought the boat with trailer to be able to travel, right? I wouldn’t be caught with such short lines on board when traveling to new destinations. Unless, of course, you have longer backups on board. Better safe than sorry, like when boating on water with tidal swings.

Fear not, this is strictly for our normal home slip where the lines stay tied and the slip is lined with fenders. I have plenty of 15 and 25' lines and 6 fenders that stay on board for non home slips even on our lake like dock and dine. 

Sounds like I'll pick up a few more 15s then and take off the 2 25s I used from bow cleat to post so that'll alleviate at least some of the bulk. The upright has my spring lines back to midship cleats plus the ones from upright to bow so it's kind of messy. Since I'll have both lines there I also need to wrap one in bright tape so I know easily which is the spring line loop when backing in as that'll go on first 

1 hour ago, mpm330 said:

If your going to cut nylon rope you should use a hot rope cutter

Just use a bic lighter to melt the nylon strands together at the cut

Just now, ColdOne said:

That works, but hot rope cutter does a cleaner job.

Why so short?  The longer the better.  

I saw a 25 footer tie up at out transient dock. He's lines were so short, a small wake from a passing boat ripped out one of his cleats.    

8 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Why so short?  The longer the better.  

I saw a 25 footer tie up at out transient dock. He's lines were so short, a small wake from a passing boat ripped out one of his cleats.    

My bow cleat is only about 3' from my front upright at the end of the slip. I just don't need THAT much extra to wrap around the upright. Especially when I already have one going from the front upright back to the mid-ship cleat. I don't have tide and wake to worry about and am just trying to keep things neat. Nothing is anywhere near taught even IF some yahoo comes zipping through the 1/8 mile no wake zone down stream from us.

7 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Go to www.wholesalemarine.com  They have what you need. You can even use their 3/8" X 10' Looped braided dock lines  $ 6 .

Thanks! I didn't realize I could use 3/8" with this size boat but west marine's chart has up to 27' boats on 3/8" line. I know 1/2" is "better" but for these front lines, I may drop to 3/8" to be able to get the 10'

Your dock area LOOKS very protected. We just had several hours of 85 mph gusts.

Consider 2 long 1/2" X 35' to 40'  blue looped dock lines. For the sudden storm that needs  them to be tied to the away from home dock. In the spring or very long ....X .... pattern to stretch & cushion the force of 4' to 6' waves.

I see 10 footers on ebay.  I like using the 10 footers on the transom cleat.  My dock post is right next to my cleat.  i could probably get away with a 5 footer. i have longer dock lines on board.

1 minute ago, rreale said:

I see 10 footers on ebay.  I like using the 10 footers on the transom cleat.  My dock post is right next to my cleat.  i could probably get away with a 5 footer. i have longer dock lines on board.

I cross my rear lines from the cleats which sit on the back of the platform right above the water. If not for that, I'd need like 5 foot lines and still have double the length to spare LOL!

7 hours ago, ColdOne said:

7 hours ago, mpm330 said:

That works, but hot rope cutter does a cleaner job.

I like to wrap the line tightly with making tape before cutting it. Then use a utility knife with a fresh blade to cut it in the middle of the tape. Then light it on fire with a Bic and let it burn a second or two. Blow it out and let it cool for a few seconds, and then remove the tape. This gives a nice clean look, and a nice thick melted "cap" on the end of the line that will last forever. 

12 minutes ago, TNBrett said:

I like to wrap the line tightly with masking tape before cutting it. Then use a utility knife with a fresh blade to cut it in the middle of the tape. Then light it on fire with a Bic and let it burn a second or two. Blow it out and let it cool for a few seconds, and then remove the tape. This gives a nice clean look, and a nice thick melted "cap" on the end of the line that will last forever. 

That works the best for me as well. The melted end cap is smooth and strong.

Ditto

I have a old Aluminum plate that I use to cool the melted ends very flat. As soon as I blow out the flame. That hot rolling removes the bulges on the end.

Forgot. I smear a small amount of grease on the plate where the hot plastic will be rubbing. Prevents sticking.

23 hours ago, ColdOne said:

+1.  This also works if your lines start to fray at the end

I have purchased lines from the company listed below at the St. Louis boat shows for the past several years, have bought mooring lines of various lengths and matching lines for my 8" Taylor Made Big B fenders.  They have the loop you want, are machine washable, do not get stiff or hard, and come in many colors and sizes.  They will cut them to any size you want, have a nice big loop to work with.

Horizons Ltd.

858-C Davis Dr.

Conywrs, GA

800-969-4583

horizonsltd.com

On 5/13/2018 at 1:23 PM, mpm330 said:

Thanks for sharing this link!   

I didn't know this tool existed, although I always figured the rope manufacturers had a special heating/cutting tool for this purpose.   I've always done the tape, cut, and burn method too, but since I have the 'old style soldering gun', I just ordered the 'special rope cutting tip' (which can be ordered separately for less than 9-deer) and will give that a try.

I carry 4 white 25' ones and 4 gold 15' lines. I find that having different colors makes it easier to grab the right length. 

On 5/13/2018 at 8:15 PM, watson524 said:

My bow cleat is only about 3' from my front upright at the end of the slip. . . . .

Use the starboard cleat for the port line and vice versa.