Sign in to follow this  
WaterDR

Two Beeps!

Ok....here is where we are at.

Hooked up computer and no alarms.  Started boat up and one beep and stalls.  

Alarm showed fuel pump.  I saw it with my own eyes.

tried to start again....would turn over and not start.  No beep and no fuel pump would not start.

then tried again....it ran.  Cleared code.  Gabe it power and under power, @#$%@# down again with fuel pump alarm.

His thought was a bad sensor.  So ran the motor again.  While running he tapped the main wire harness and beep and motor quit again.  Turns out the wire harness was lose.

he took the harness off, checked the contacts and then got it good and tight.

Ran it again and could not repeat the problem even banging on the harness.

I asked if the two beep alarm I was getting would also be related to ththe lose harness.  Hard to say but if a contact was bad, I think it’s any guess.

i haven’t been able to really test the boat since the repair.

Not the first time the wire harness has caused people problems on here. 

Glad they may have found the issue!

And yes, seems like a typical wire harness issue.  16 years of bouncing and vibration, maybe some corrosion.  Who knows.  One thing we all know, stuff on a boat works its way loose over time.  It is inevitable :)

Wiring harness issues are fun.

Possible the error code mentioned earlier was showing fuel pump circuit high or low? These engines are not designed to shut down while running due to a sensor failure with the possible exception of a crank position sensor. Makes me think error code was showing fuel pump circuit issue which would probably show if the relay wasn't getting power to keep the fuel pumps going while the engine was running.

If a MerCruiser, it is my understanding that even the newer engines ECM has no idea what the fuel pump is doing. Maybe the latest Volvo direct injected engines have an idea what the fuel pump is doing, but I don't know that.

Wire harness was loose? On the 10 pin connector itself where the engine harness plugs into the harness for the key switch on top of the engine, or loose where fuel pump relays, or somewhere else? The 10 pin connector type are known to be problematic; I typically use a small flat screwdriver to widen the male terminals so they contact the female slots properly for the cannon plug. Later style 14 pin harness that MerCruiser brought out around 2007 or so has proven to be much more robust.

Image result for mercruiser cannon plugImage result for mercruiser cannon plug]/[]=-/

1 hour ago, WaterDR said:

Ok....here is where we are at.

Hooked up computer and no alarms.  Started boat up and one beep and stalls.  

Alarm showed fuel pump.  I saw it with my own eyes.

tried to start again....would turn over and not start.  No beep and no fuel pump would not start.

then tried again....it ran.  Cleared code.  Gabe it power and under power, @#$%@# down again with fuel pump alarm.

His thought was a bad sensor.  So ran the motor again.  While running he tapped the main wire harness and beep and motor quit again.  Turns out the wire harness was lose.

he took the harness off, checked the contacts and then got it good and tight.

Ran it again and could not repeat the problem even banging on the harness.

I asked if the two beep alarm I was getting would also be related to ththe lose harness.  Hard to say but if a contact was bad, I think it’s any guess.

i haven’t been able to really test the boat since the repair.

Good news is that parts were not needed. W

There is a hose clamp that it looks like someone may have added to hold the two together.  Guessing it has been a problem before 

15 hours ago, WaterDR said:

There is a hose clamp that it looks like someone may have added to hold the two together.  Guessing it has been a problem before 

The hose clamp is actually from the factory, and has been used for as long as I can remember. If nothing else, we all learned from your experience. The error code was set by the ECM when it lost electrical connection to the fuel pump. That was likely also causing the shut down. We may never know what was causing the alarm, as the fuel pump issue can't sound the buzzer, but hopefully the harness repair cured that issue also. I had a friends 1985 Sea Ray that had an issue with that plug, as one of the pins was molded into the body shorter than all the others. Showed up after a few trips out, but at least it failed at the dock. Enjoy your summer and I hope the alarm issue has also been put to rest.  W

16 hours ago, WaterDR said:

Be sure not to over tighten the gear clamp; only snug up or else you risk compressing the male terminals.

The problem is not repaired yet. I will send my 80 year old mechanic over to correct the problem without the crushing clamp.

He VERY CAREFULLY spreads those split pins apart to the correct gap again. All the mysterious & random problems are gone.

He has spent his life in auto racing & all boat repairs.. He normally does the split pin readjustment free of charge to any new member of our groups.

REMOVE AL:L electric wires from 1 post of each battery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before adjusting the pin gaps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   A slip can damage something.  Not worth the risk.  He uses the smallest / thinnest  knife blade edge to spread them.

Enlarge the plug pictures to 400% look at the gaps. Then the black spots on the pins  & socket surfaces. NOT good. Can cause intermittent contacts.

Both of my 2002 5.0L engines have no spots on anything.

Something to remember about those split pins sliding into a round tube. There will only be 2 TINY contact points. The tip of each sprung apart 1/2 of a pin. There are far better plug & socket designs.

Oh well.

Namely terminal strips with ringed lugs.

But that is too costly. As you drift helplessly in a crowded shipping channel or on a empty lake.

My wife needs 2 witnesses to sign my commitment papers. Anyone free to help her ?

The tech did adjust the connectors.  Seemed to know what he was doing.  Fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, WaterDR said:

Ran like a champ all day....put about 4 hours on it! :)

Good news, now go sign Cyclop's commitment papers. Consider it a public service.  W