watson524

How much water in boat?

2 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

Get a power inverter. I have a 1000w one hard wired into the boat that I use to power a 2hp shop vac. Shop vac is hard plumbed into the port side hold in the main cockpit. Use it to clean up and inflate the big toys.

Not sure what else I might use an inverter for. We already have a blow up thing in the port side hold tho we've not tried it yet so I don't know how long it takes to blow things up and we aren't big water toy people (I say that now, I guess it could change)

Shop vac can also... vac. It’s a handy clean up tool if you have carpet.

And unless you have a tiny tube to blow up, prepare to spend quite a while inflating with that factory “inflator.” Pretty useless.

My little shop vac can inflate a Super Mabel three person raft in about 5 minutes, same with deflating.

Inverter also powers any other AC item, of reasonable draw.

2 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

Inverter also powers any other AC item, of reasonable draw.

Where do you have your inverter and did you install it yourself? I'm handy but no nothing about how they're wired

They come with alligator clamps so you can just attach and detach as needed to one of the batteries. 

Or you can hard wire it in like I did, red “box” thing in upper right corner of photos in this post:

So wait, I could use the aligator clips to connect the inverter and then run a real 110v blender???? Tho I hear blenders eat up a lot of juice so I don't want to sacrifice blending for music on battery two :)

I keep an old style mop in my dock box for that small amount of water that my bilge wont purge. I cut the handle down to be able to swab up under the engine and just wring out over the side of the boat. Simple but effective.

7 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

I keep an old style mop in my dock box for that small amount of water that my bilge wont purge. I cut the handle down to be able to swab up under the engine and just wring out over the side of the boat. Simple but effective.

Good call! Tho this doesn't appear to be a small amount of water that the pump won't purge, tho liquid always appears to be more than it is

I tend to have to pull the drain plug maybe once per week to let the water out of the bilge while on my boat lift.  The bummer isn't the water (well sort of), it's the grunge that comes with the water than now resides in the bilge once drained.  I hate that.  Of course for me, when my factory installed bilge pump finally bit the dust, the model was discontinued so I had to improvise with a new improved version mounted in the same spot which sits a couple inches higher.  Need to get a sizable amount of water in the bilge now for it to do its thing.  

Yep I'm not impressed by the grunge either tho on our old boat, even tho it stayed dry, I'd run a bottle of bilge cleaner through it and let it slosh around then pump out and dry the rest with rags once a season.

One point of water entry that took me awhile to find was rain coming in the engine compartment vents. My vents are slightly angled upward so there is a bit of collection that eventually makes its way to the bilge area under the engine. Not enough to pump out but enough that a wet vac is needed. 

To curb this annoyance I cut two rectangular pieces of pool cover and snapped them under the boat cover which therefore covers the vents. It doesn't stop all the water but it reduces it enough that I don't need to wet vac it.  

Simple and didn't cost me a cent.