watson524

Where to mount fire extinguisher

Nope, one more question for tonite.... where do you 264'ers have your fire extinguisher mounted? Dealer was going to mount it between the floor and recess at driver's area but the newer extinguishers are a bit heavier and he's concerned about mounting it there horizontally with the two screws being so far up and no support for the "bottom" end of it. I don't want it vertically up in front of the driver's feet, there's not really enough room and it'll stand out. Don't want to go in back of the driver's seat into the wet bar as we don't think that's thick enough. Looking to see what others did.

Also going to see if maybe I can find one that has a support further down (but still only 2 screws to mount, I'm not into holes all over the place) so if it's mounted horizontally we don't have the end of it flopping around.

thanks!

I mounted my extra one under the the helm seat. I keep all the life jackets (not being used) under the bow seats.

My fire drill is everyone to the bow, grab a jacket and wait.

Is your helm seat on a pedestal? I can't picture how it'd be mounted there. I'm laughing at your firedrill because we have the auto system in the engine compartment so when the dealer said we're supposed to have another one mounted I'm like really??? I mean I GUESS the grill could have a problem but if my engine goes up in flames and the auto system can't handle it, my butt is already in the water.

Yes it has a nice flat spot under it. I only have it because the DNR guys arn't to bright some times. Saves a little time having 2. 

If its on fire we be leaving off the bow.

I'm retired Lt FD.

OH! So literally mounted to the base of the seat. Well I'll be darned. Are your two screw points up near the pin on the extinguisher? The back end/bottom doesn't flop around?

On mine it is mounted under the console above the driver's foot rest, maybe 18 inches up from the floor or so?  I actually have the boat at home right now, could take a picture.

You need to have a one hand portable fire extinguisher per Coast Guard regulations.  The automatic engine bay Fire Boy system you have does not qualify.

What type of extinguisher do you have?  A small B1 type, which is what I have, fits easily under the console and have never had any problems with it or the mounting strap coming loose.

Would you mind snapping a picture? Not sure what kind we have (a white one lol). It was the dealer's standard issue and he said until the boat goes back for carpeting (factory fumble the dealer is sorting out) just hold onto it so I put it in the slide out cooler. I don't know size tho and am not near the boat right now. 

14 minutes ago, dsmacey said:

On mine it is mounted under the console above the driver's foot rest, maybe 18 inches up from the floor or so?  I actually have the boat at home right now, could take a picture.

You need to have a one hand portable fire extinguisher per Coast Guard regulations.  The automatic engine bay Fire Boy system you have does not qualify.

What type of extinguisher do you have?  A small B1 type, which is what I have, fits easily under the console and have never had any problems with it or the mounting strap coming loose.

+1. Mine is just above my left foot at the helm. The bottom of it is barely visible in the pic.

y4maaqCNcPrlR9RH5p9rvcJEtTybQM5APlWmGrIG

I also added one of these fire ports into the center of my deck plate that is in the middle of my bench seat.

y4mwdtqUW75-hCILF6bzJpr6HQ7LJuzHkF_VTSXU

y4mfH1Bzwti2sd-Pjbec4cu_WDM6roUHBEt-MUnT

I'll have to check but I don't think it goes up that far under our helm but good picture to make me check.

What is that port? Is that so you can keep the air from getting in but shove the extinguisher nozzle in to spray? We have a full seat there so that won't work for us but I'm curious on what it is/does

That's where the extinguisher was on my old boat. The PO of my Chap had an old expired one tossed in the ski locker. Bought a new one and put it where I was used to seeing it. The fire port is a semi clear membrane that you break through with the extinguisher nozzle to fill the compartment with the agent.

2 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

The fire port is a semi clear membrane that you break through with the extinguisher nozzle to fill the compartment with the agent.

Ok I figured it was something like that.

I got stopped when I was taking the bot out of the slip to the launch ramp for my yearly safety inspection, so this was top of mind since I had to take it out and show them.  

Anyway, pictures.  First two are of it mounted, last one just the bracket after I took the fire extinguisher out.  Kind of dirty behind it, need to clean that spot I guess :)

large.IMG_7502.JPG.02e9c0cbc47c591a563f879ce7530e86.JPG

large.IMG_8543.JPG.d609633829386bbaad2c8c33c6976b01.JPG

large.IMG_4233.JPG.6e378b8cfd78e9ea2c327aa65412a016.JPG

Ok this confirms something for me, we need to get a different mounting thingy. The one the dealer has has a very short one that doesn't support the lower end at all (which was his concern with the horizontal mounting, didn't want the bottom end flopping around putting stress on the screws). If we get a mounting bracket like yours, we should be fine to either go there or just under the cup holder area by the floor where our initial thought was.

Very helpful, thanks!!

Pretty sure my bracket is like yours. Mounted vertically, nothing supports the bottom. Vertical support is from the top and the strap holds it tightly in place. The bottom doesn't bounce at all. It seems to make more sense to mount it vertically considering the way it's designed, unless there are space restrictions to doing it that way.

I will look tomorrow.

Amazon has similar Kidde brackets for sale, too.

The small 16' fishing boat has the supplied black strap bracket. It is in full sunlight all summer. No cover.

Works & holds very tightly a bunch of extinguishers since 1986. Vertical mount.

8 hours ago, dsmacey said:

I will look tomorrow.

Amazon has similar Kidde brackets for sale, too.

Cool thanks

My Sunesta has a recessed fire extinguisher cubby in the bar side right behind the captains seat. I also keep a second one in the small cabinet next to the pull out ice chest on the wet bar.

That looks like it......

My boat was titled as a 25 footer so it only needs a fixed system or one hand held. If your boat is titled as a 26 footer you need 2. Either 2 hand held or a fixed and a hand held.

http://wow.uscgaux.info/Uploads_wowII/054-20-02/CG_Updates_Fire_Extinguishers.pdf

But as a side note only boats 26 feet and over can be rated a "Yacht Certified" my registration doesn't conform to that rule either. I bought it used and that's what the dealer did when he sold it to the original owner. Not one DNR guy has every caught that on inpection, but I carry 2 anyway. 

Just got my replacement extinguisher due to the Kidde recall. It said kitchen extinguisher on the box. It is white......

Even though I'm only 22.5 feet, I have two, one mounted on the divider wall just inside the door on the wet bar, and one on the wall in the cabin.  I think any boat with sleeping/living space should have one within easy reach when you're in the living space.

The Kiddie recall has provided a nice set of upgrades on the 3 boat and 1 large general purpose fire extinguishers I had around the place.  I give Kiddie props for an extremely well-run recall program.