watson524

Where to mount fire extinguisher

28 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, sburke91 said:

Even though I'm only 22.5 feet, I have two, one mounted on the divider wall just inside the door on the wet bar, and one on the wall in the cabin.  I think any boat with sleeping/living space should have one within easy reach when you're in the living space.

I was wondering about putting it in the small cabinet side of the wet bar but wasn't sure how thick that was and I know the dealer didn't want to use the outside wall on the cooler side behind the driver seat for fear of it being too thin for the screws. Tho we have a tower so that compartment can get wet when it rains so I'm not sure if putting it in there on that divider wall is a good idea. And do they deem that area to be "readily accessible"?

36 minutes ago, watson524 said:

I was wondering about putting it in the small cabinet side of the wet bar but wasn't sure how thick that was and I know the dealer didn't want to use the outside wall on the cooler side behind the driver seat for fear of it being too thin for the screws. Tho we have a tower so that compartment can get wet when it rains so I'm not sure if putting it in there on that divider wall is a good idea. And do they deem that area to be "readily accessible"?

On mine it has a piece of starboard on the inside that's more of a 'false wall', but more than strong enough to mount to.  

The USCG regs say "not in an obstructed location", but don't define what that means.  I've had no issues so far with it on that wall, and it keeps it relatively close to the fire port on the engine compartment (my wet bar is just behind the helm station).

5 minutes ago, sburke91 said:

On mine it has a piece of starboard on the inside that's more of a 'false wall', but more than strong enough to mount to.  

The USCG regs say "not in an obstructed location", but don't define what that means.  I've had no issues so far with it on that wall, and it keeps it relatively close to the fire port on the engine compartment (my wet bar is just behind the helm station).

ok we have that same piece of starboard so it's good to know you can mount to that. Might just go there and call it done.