Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jminz

Replacement carpet or seadek?

19 posts in this topic

New to us 220 ssi and I'm torn on what to do with the carpet. The back is peeling so I've got a few options. Carpet itself is in good shape, so I can recoat the rubber backing. I can replace with a new set of carpets or I can go with the seadeck/gatorstep/Eva foam floor. I had Gatorstep installed on our last boat, but sold it literally the day after it was installed, so we didn't get a chance to enjoy it.  I like the idea of being able to remove the carpet, but i also like the idea of easy maintenance from the Eva foam flooring. Why did you stick with carpet or why did you make the switch to seadek?

Just redo the plastic backing. I used Flex Seal to do mine and its holding out great so far. I got a wire brush and spent a few hours taking off the loose rubber, then after a good clean up, I brushed on the flex seal. Dont use the spray can Flex Seal, use the paint in a can. Seems they are different. 

flex seal worked great on mine.  I peeled and brushed off as much as the old as I could.  I think I sprayed 3-4 coats of flex seal on it and used 2 cans of it.  IMO the seadeck stuff is ridiculous priced for what it is, specially for 3 months worth of use a year.  But more than anything I like the snap in and out carpet, makes for easy removal of cleaning and leaves the ability to take the carpet out for messy situations that can easily be sprayed out

I went with Sea Dek.  I bought the bigger sheets they have available and used the carpet as a template and cut them out myself with a sharp razor blade. 

• No more hot buttons to be burning my feet on.  
  • When the deck is dirty I just throw a bucket of water on it to wash it down.
  • Much nicer to walk on.

I have the original carpet on my 2006 220 SSi.  I have had SeaDek on my swim platforms since about 2010.  The SeaDek picks up dirt from feet and footwear whereas carpet really doesn't.  Fortunately the swim platforms are near water for the oft-needed quick scrub (I keep a brush in a ESP locker).  I love the SeaDek, but I personally wouldn't want it inside my boat.  Carpet is easy and quick to remove and store on board (we often do).  My carpet rarely gets wet; perhaps that's why I'm still on the original set.  I often tuck under the cockpit piece to give swimmers a place to drip.

medium.P1010852.JPG.67fa8fea4e932d43aa94

When necessary, I'll be replacing with carpet rather than SeaDek.  I'm all about keeping my boat clean, but the idea of sluicing and scrubbing the SeaDek floors to clean them is more fishing boat than recreational boat, to me.  I pull up and put back down my carpet pieces often, depending on conditions and usage.  Others mileage may vary.  Perhaps the snap-in pieces of SeaDek (or similar) would be a compromise.

These are just my opinions.  Works for us.  The SeaDek feels great underfoot, and makes a swim platform much safer and more comfortable.  Mine is holding up very well, but my boat stays under cover and in a covered slip (with rear curtain).

medium.phone_pics_630.jpg.3194e3484e0aaf

I went with new carpet, from snapin carpets.com. I like to be able to remove when required. 

brick

3 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I have the original carpet on my 2006 220 SSi.  I have had SeaDek on my swim platforms since about 2010.  The SeaDek picks up dirt from feet and footwear whereas carpet really doesn't.  Fortunately the swim platforms are near water for the oft-needed quick scrub (I keep a brush in a ESP locker).  I love the SeaDek, but I personally wouldn't want it inside my boat.  Carpet is easy and quick to remove and store on board (we often do).  My carpet rarely gets wet; perhaps that's why I'm still on the original set.  I often tuck under the cockpit piece to give swimmers a place to drip.

medium.P1010852.JPG.67fa8fea4e932d43aa94

When necessary, I'll be replacing with carpet rather than SeaDek.  I'm all about keeping my boat clean, but the idea of sluicing and scrubbing the SeaDek floors to clean them is more fishing boat than recreational boat, to me.  I pull up and put back down my carpet pieces often, depending on conditions and usage.  Others mileage may vary.  Perhaps the snap-in pieces of SeaDek (or similar) would be a compromise.

These are just my opinions.  Works for us.  The SeaDek feels great underfoot, and makes a swim platform much safer and more comfortable.  Mine is holding up very well, but my boat stays under cover and in a covered slip (with rear curtain).

medium.phone_pics_630.jpg.3194e3484e0aaf

Question about the seadek on the swim platform. Does the large chaparral logo embossed on the swim platform show through the seadek?

I went with Plasteak.

Looks great, feels great....would not do it again.

I bought the cool teak.......its not cool.

It gets real hot, I am in Florida.

When you get out of the water on the swim platform, you need to wet it down or it is too hot to stand on.

I've seen and heard of so many bad experiences with the sea deck, et al, and since we never use the carpet in our 220, If it were my money, I would buy new carpet if I had to have one of the two.  I've noticed that storing the carpet in an unheated garage in my neck of the woods where negative 30 F temps aren't uncommon, tends to he harsh on the rubber carpet backing.  I wonder if the foam in the sea deck materials does not take kindly to the very harsh northern temps as well.

I absolutely LOVE my SeaDek, but having lived with it for several years I know it isn't what I want inside the boat.  But it's prolly the best upgrade I've done, including my Wet Sounds audio.  For swim platforms, this type of material is excellent IMO.

To be fair, there are a few folks on this site that do have it inside their boat and they say they like it.  So there's that to consider . . . 

5 hours ago, Jminz said:

Question about the seadek on the swim platform. Does the large chaparral logo embossed on the swim platform show through the seadek?

Not an overhead shot but . . . 

medium.5afb8b7f8360e_phonepics1420.jpg.8

10 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Not an overhead shot but . . . 

medium.5afb8b7f8360e_phonepics1420.jpg.8

What year is your Boat? I had read previously where someone had to fill in the chap logos on the platforms with marinetex so the intentions didn't show through. On mine i have the logo on the first platform underneath the ski hook, right in the middle. Where your seadek is split in the middle i would be able to see the chap logo underneath. 

GatorStep Install

That's the link to my thread.  I Used some 5 min epoxy to fill in my logo on the swim platform.  The other option is to add the bird head to the design I suppose.  I prefer it without the logo.  Just personal preference.  I still love the GatorStep, but I knew I didn't want carpet from the get go.  Personal preference again I suppose.  

I think it is definitely personal preference, and circumstances.

I have SeaDek on my swim platform and while it is light grey, it still gets hot.  Not scorching hot, but hot enough to be uncomfortable (vs the original black rubber mat, which got hot enough to be dangerous to you).  Inside, I have carpet.  Never gets hot.  Sure, the snaps do, but easy enough to avoid.

So for me, SeaDek on the platform works great, carpet inside works great.

Wanted to do GatorStep on the swim platform, but ultimately went with Chaparral OEM SeaDek.  Dealer here gave me a good deal on it.  Won't deal with GatorStep since TJ (their West Coast Rep) left (long story, but his significant other and mine are twin sisters, and you do not want them ganging up on you!).

12 hours ago, dsmacey said:

I think it is definitely personal preference, and circumstances.

I have SeaDek on my swim platform and while it is light grey, it still gets hot.  Not scorching hot, but hot enough to be uncomfortable (vs the original black rubber mat, which got hot enough to be dangerous to you).  Inside, I have carpet.  Never gets hot.  Sure, the snaps do, but easy enough to avoid.

So for me, SeaDek on the platform works great, carpet inside works great.

Wanted to do GatorStep on the swim platform, but ultimately went with Chaparral OEM SeaDek.  Dealer here gave me a good deal on it.  Won't deal with GatorStep since TJ (their West Coast Rep) left (long story, but his significant other and mine are twin sisters, and you do not want them ganging up on you!).

I was partial to gatorstep since I used them on my last boat, but i have decided to do only the swim platform and the transom walkthrough. Looked up both on their site and seadek is actually $300 cheaper. Was blown away by that. It looks like Gatorstep has significantly raised their prices in the last year. 

Infinity Vinyl. 400 deer for the whole piece, used snap in carpets for templates, have alot left over......

y4mGNaPajWvTfGoTf01P6qGfIzkeCkbFB0-5wgs8

y4mvcjN_5bOr6rSB0ZB06il9SP4_pr8P3PZZXmyT

y4mZ8rqhvavBv5CkaxfK4foXgdw-BFnE_OxlA0En

2 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Infinity Vinyl. 400 deer for the whole piece, used snap in carpets for templates, have alot left over......

y4mGNaPajWvTfGoTf01P6qGfIzkeCkbFB0-5wgs8

y4mvcjN_5bOr6rSB0ZB06il9SP4_pr8P3PZZXmyT

y4mZ8rqhvavBv5CkaxfK4foXgdw-BFnE_OxlA0En

Looks good. I've thought about cutting my own but i really like the look of the finished edge.