Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Water Dawg 6

Water In Fuel

6 posts in this topic

Went out yesterday and had to get towed in.  Both engines died on me on the water.  It occurred about 20 minutes after hitting some big waves in the inlet.  So I'm pretty sure that stirred up the water sitting at the bottom of the fuel tank cause water to get into my fuel pump and into my Fuel Injectors.  I'll inspect it this weekend.  If water isn't in the tank, I may have ran out of fuel and my Garmin Fuel Senors failed me, but doing the math I'm thinking I should of had about 60 gallons of fuel left on-board and that's what my electronics were saying as well.  Question.  If I do have water in my tank and it's obvious that it already shut down my engines will a product like MDR Water Zorb alone fix the problem or will have to pump that water of the tank as well?  The Water Zorb is supose to consolidate the water in a way in which it can be burned safety without any ill effects to the engine??

MDR Water Zorb.png

I can't speak for Water Zorb, but the only solution my marina would offer was to pump out the 40 gallons of "fuel" in the tank. At least 5 gallons or completely cloudy/watery. I went with an external Racor fuel/water separator and only ethanol-free fuel since then. I understand not everyone has access to ethanol-free fuel.

On 5/15/2018 at 11:54 AM, AquaTherapy said:

I can't speak for Water Zorb, but the only solution my marina would offer was to pump out the 40 gallons of "fuel" in the tank. At least 5 gallons or completely cloudy/watery. I went with an external Racor fuel/water separator and only ethanol-free fuel since then. I understand not everyone has access to ethanol-free fuel.

If you're exposed to ethanol based fuel, than I concur that removing all the fuel from the tank is the recommended route. Not cheap or fun of course to have removed, but possible the gas has suffered from phase separation. Should this be the case, and you remove the watery substance from the fuel, the remaining fuel could have very low octane, with the possibility of causing detonation to the pistons. Ethanol of course is used to raise the octane level, and in such a scenario, the ethanol vents off to the atmosphere, leaving octane depleted fuel behind.

Up here in the Great White North, marinas can typically get non-ethanol fuel so we don't see that many ethanol issues such as phase separation thankfully. Flip side getting ethanol free fuel on the water is $ 1.99 CDN a litre or roughly $ 5.83 in USD per US gallon. Suppliers love to hit us with fuel hikes just in time for May 2-4 weekend, etc.

Pay more for U S A  Ethanol gasoline. 

In return they give you less mileage. Higher risk of a ruined fuel system. 

Before going to the point of pumping your tank.....Pull your fuel filter(s)...if you have water you will see it there. They are designed to collect the water (being heavier than fuel). I wouldn't imagine it would be a water issue assuming you have been changing your fuel separator filter(s) on a regular basis.