Gapple12

2006 246 SSI Battery selector switch

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Gapple12 said:

So, I'm curious what this Isolator box does(see link below) ? I'm seeing both batteries connected to it. 

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/isolator-2-bank-this-item-is-no-longer-available/

That is a battery isolator.   Typically, you should have one wire from the "A" post of it to your alternator.  Battery #1 and anything that would have been originally connected to the alternator wired to "B1" post and the second battery wired to the "B2" post.  But introducing a 1/2/Both switch can really make it complicated.

What a battery isolator normally does is allow a one way charge to each battery.  So when the engine is running, both batteries should be getting a charge from the alternator.  The isolator prevents a reverse charge going from battery #1 to battery #2, or vice versa, so that one cannot drain the other, thus isolating them.

The big question is how is the isolator wired with the 1/2/Both switch?

1 hour ago, watson524 said:

Yes, the red light was on when we looked at it. But on ours it says that that means #2 is charging, just like the picture.

Sounds like everything is working properly.

I cannot speak for newer models from Chaparral and what VSR they may have used, but on my older model the VSR is a single sense model so it only senses voltage on battery #1.  Once it is fully charge, in this case meaning the voltage reads 13.7, it engages (red LED comes on) and bridges both batteries, thus send any charge from the alternator (or battery charger) to both batteries.

If I run on #2 on the switch, the VSR does not come on regardless of what voltage is on the #2 battery.  

For more recent years Chaparral may gone to dual sense VSR that monitors voltage on both batteries and engages/bridges the batteries when either one is showing fully charged.  But unless you get the actual part # of the VSR there is no way to tell I don't think.  I believe though that if you have a VSR like in the picture above I posted of the Chaparral battery panel that is a newer VSR that is dual sensing and it cuts in at 13.2 volts.

This is the newer model that is a dual sense (model 710-140A).

329573-28736.jpg

This is the older model that is single sense (model 710-125A)

BEP Marine 710125A 125AMP Voltage Sensitive Relay

2 hours ago, watson524 said:

Yes, the red light was on when we looked at it. But on ours it says that that means #2 is charging, just like the picture.

Yes, in a way. The VSR does not charge one or the other, but when wired in a traditional manor, the main cranking bank ALWAYS gets a charge from the alternator, then the VSR closes to send some charge to the house bank. Even then, the main is still getting some charge.