Tuglife

Reading a volvo penta oil dip stick

I must be crazy but i am looking to check my oil level but when i take the dip stick out it doesnt say min max or anything there is no obvious marking to tell what the oil level is. I habe attached a pic. This is out of a volvo penta 5.7. 

Any help is appreciated.

9DB0A800-EF6F-4F43-A9C0-13666D5713C4.jpeg

How about the hashed area of the tip ...

large.dipsticktip.jpeg.8e8c9e6a0d9e2ba5d

2 hours ago, Richard W said:

Yep!

7 hours ago, Richard W said:

I looked at that area earlier today when i took thag pic but didnt see anything. It must be there though so i will give it another look thanks!

7 hours ago, Richard W said:

The hashed area indicate max and min oil level range. If you have not seen any oil mark on the dipstick, there is not enough oil in your engine. In fact, the engine could be way down on oil if the dipstick is dry.

Keep in mind that synthetic oil keeps translucent color and viscosity much longer than the conventional oil and therefore is harder to notice on the dipstick.

9 hours ago, Richard W said:

The hashed area indicate max and min oil level range. If you have not seen any oil mark on the dipstick, there is not enough oil in your engine. In fact, the engine could be way down on oil if the dipstick is dry.

Keep in mind that synthetic oil keeps translucent color and viscosity much longer than the conventional oil and therefore is harder to notice on the dipstick.

Thanks much.

On 5/20/2018 at 10:27 PM, Richard W said:

Is there a way to make it easier to read? Like maybe black marker on the dipstick or something? I'm having a hard time reading mine too and I'm expecting since I'm still in the break in period, I could be dropping a bit of oil so I make sure to check a lot but it's definitely hard to read.

58 minutes ago, watson524 said:

Is there a way to make it easier to read? Like maybe black marker on the dipstick or something? I'm having a hard time reading mine too and I'm expecting since I'm still in the break in period, I could be dropping a bit of oil so I make sure to check a lot but it's definitely hard to read.

Run the boat!  The oil will darken.  ;)

Got 10 hours on it already this year! Considering some years we weren't in until July 4th and were lucky to get 10 all season, we're WAY ahead of the curve!

Outstanding.  We did 130 hours our first season; been decreasing each season since . . . 

Wow! Lucky you get the extended season. Here if we see 50 we're doing really well. Plus I don't like just circling. We'll do a loop, see some things, go watch the eagles nest on the island and then float.