watson524

What are people using for deck brushes?

Looking for something to clean foot prints and such that don't just spray off the platform (we don't have a pad on it, just the stock gelcoat). Saw a shurhold blue with "extra soft" nylon bristles. Wondering if that's too soft? There's also a "soft" yellow one. What are you guys using?

I use a standard hand held brush that I keep in a platform locker.  It's not particularly soft.  I have SeaDek on my platforms.

OK we don't have anything because we figured we might see what we want before adding to it right away. Just have to be careful because "naked" it is a bit slick 

I use Surhold brushes and other implements ... they require Shurhold stick. The brush we use the most that is always on/near the boat is the Hammerhead. Other brushes we use are 10" size of various softness, they feel heavy especially on extended stick ... a 6" medium softness is probably what you need for non-skid deck and below waterline hull, the soft bristles for frequent washdowns of the hull and deck above waterline.

In seven years the Hammerhead proved to be the most versatile brush capable of cleaning the hull, deck, and dry sweeping the cockpit. Still good after seven years but showing signs of wear. All Shurhold brushes have soft bumpers all around to guard against hard bumps and scuffs.

FWIW, here is the link to their line of boat brushes .... https://shurhold.com/marine/shurhold-system/brushes

I use this handle:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--telescoping-deck-brush-handle-admiral-3-6--12830956?recordNum=1

with the brush from this:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--stowaway-3-0-deck-brush-kit--12830840?recordNum=1

I learned the hard way that the rubber grip on the end of the stowaway loosens up and comes off when using it in the water.

When it's not in use, this combo sits in a set of clips on the side of the engine compartment, so it stays out of the way.

This stuff:

http://www.starbrite.com/item/non-skid-deck-cleaner-with-ptef

Also does a great job of getting rid of heavy dirt, and making the nonskid easy to clean with just a hose for normal footprints, etc.

Have the blue soft Shurhold brush for the hull and a yellow medium for the non-skid. First year using them, but so far I like them.

1 hour ago, Richard W said:

I use Surhold brushes and other implements ... they require Shurhold stick. The brush we use the most that is always on/near the boat is the Hammerhead. Other brushes we use are 10" size of various softness, they feel heavy especially on extended stick ... a 6" medium softness is probably what you need for non-skid deck and below waterline hull, the soft bristles for frequent washdowns of the hull and deck above waterline.

I can safely say I never thought about taking a bristled brush to the hull. I assumed that was a no no and always used a sponge. That's good to know that you can do it tho. Thanks for the link

I would have them as a guest. If you are busy.

I really only invite people I enjoy being with. We have a Wednesday dinner group to keep active.

Muscle development exercises.    :D

Lol! Yeah same here. The boat isn't a free for all and if I don't want to be in a confined space with you it's not happening. 

On 5/21/2018 at 12:42 PM, watson524 said:

Looking for something to clean foot prints and such that don't just spray off the platform (we don't have a pad on it, just the stock gelcoat). Saw a shurhold blue with "extra soft" nylon bristles. Wondering if that's too soft? There's also a "soft" yellow one. What are you guys using?

Surehold yellow works for me. Scrubs out those dirty footprints.