watson524

Anchor locker chain/rode question

So I was out with a few friends last nite and anchored for the first time in 25 years in about 30' of water. I have the stock anchor (which is shockingly only 8 pounds) with a 5' length of chain (not coated) and then 100' of rode.

No one was near us (we almost had the whole lake to ourselves) so I set the anchor drag alarm for a 75' radius and it was all good. I can't say how much line I let out because I didn't get to marking it in 10' lengths yet but I'd guess it was about 60' - no tides or wake to deal with.

Anyway, my question..... what the heck do you do with the rode and chain?? I can't put all that rode in the locker without making a mess, plus it was wet so I didn't want to put it on the spool and in a storage locker so I laid it out on the floor in the bow. The chain I left on the anchor and let it lay in the anchor locker since it was a smooth cruise in and it wouldn't be bouncing around but I don't like that idea in general. Is the solve to take it off the anchor (the shackle just has a screw pin so it's easy to do) or get coated chain or.......

What do others do?

thanks!

When you say you can't put the rope in the locker without making a mess what exactly do you mean?  I know the anchor locker on my 21' H2O has a drain hole and the anchor, rope and chain all fit in there with plenty of room to spare.  Matter of fact I keep an extra 75' rope in there too. 

It just didn't seem big enough to fit all of it with the anchor being in there then the ladder coming down on top. It does have a drain so maybe I should try coiling it and putting it in there first under the anchor. Just seemed like no way it was happening.

And I should add that in looking at the coated chain, it doesn't seem very flexible. I was wondering about maybe putting some shelf lining grip stuff (like in the center lockers) down in the anchor area for some added protection. I have galvanized chain vs stainless but I'm assuming since I'm not in salt the galvanized would be ok. I know people would say it should be longer than 5' but that really is the standard in our lake

For your situation, you should look at a box anchor.  No need for chain and you don't have to let the scope out that you would for a Danforth or plow anchor.  I have a box anchor as a secondary since the previous owner used it on the pulpit and I thought it looked TERRIBLE.  The box anchor holds well in sand.

The rode and chain and anchor should all fit down in the locker. My chain is vinyl coated, but I don`t think it really matters for it`s purpose. Just put it back in as it came out, you`ll be ok.

2 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

For your situation, you should look at a box anchor.  No need for chain and you don't have to let the scope out that you would for a Danforth or plow anchor.  I have a box anchor as a secondary since the previous owner used it on the pulpit and I thought it looked TERRIBLE.  The box anchor holds well in sand.

Actually got one of those, just haven't used it yet and figured that'd be a secondary for me tho I do plan to try it next time out since it has a nice bag and all. Glad to hear from a user they work well. We don't have sand around here but I know a few people up here that have them so I figured it was a good bet.

1 hour ago, watson524 said:

plus it was wet so I didn't want to put it on the spool and in a storage locker

What do you mean by spool?  The rope should just lay on the bottom of the locker and the chain on top of it.  Galvanize chain is what I prefer than the rubber coated one since it will flex better.  

What size rope and chain are you using?

5 minutes ago, Jjlai724 said:

What do you mean by spool?  The rope should just lay on the bottom of the locker and the chain on top of it.  Galvanize chain is what I prefer than the rubber coated one since it will flex better.  

What size rope and chain are you using?

The spool the new rode came on.

1/2" x 100' rode and the chain is 1/4" x 4' galvanized

12 minutes ago, watson524 said:

The spool the new rode came on.

1/2" x 100' rode and the chain is 1/4" x 4' galvanized

I don't think the spool has any function other than to keep the rode organized at the factory. I would not bother with it.

Remove the rope and chain from the spool.  Take the end of the anchor line and tie it to the eye in the locker box.  Then feed the rope and chain into the anchor box and the anchor should fit on the hanger.  The spool is not needed.  

Note that I have a bow roller, but not a windlass, so it's a bit different, but I did the following, to make the whole thing easier:

• Replaced the 5' of coated chain with 6' of stainless steel chain.  THIS, or THIS (I moved down from 5/16" to 1/4" in this year as the 5/16" was getting hung on the roller)
  • Secured the bitter end of the anchor line to the cleat down in the anchor locker
  • Keep a rag tucked in at the top of the anchor locker

Now, it's as simple as dropping the anchor, then pulling it back.  I just drop the line (100'+) and the chain into the locker and use the handily located towel to wipe off any mud that comes up with the anchor.  The anchor line drains in the locker, and i've never had any issues with mold, funky smells, etc.  The whole deal gets a decent cleaning once a year.

I HATED the coated chain--it was a pain to work with, and ultimately ended up with cracks in the coating and rusty water coming out of them.

I've been using three feet of galvanized chain since 2006.  Works fine for my size boat and usage.  I typically do all the holding in our usual four-boat raft-ups (rafts-up?).

Sounds like your set up is fine if it will store.  100' is a lot to get back down in the anchor locker.  I also would avoid coated chain.  I always wipe down the bow area (and bow locker) after retrieval.  And yes, I wax in there too.  When solo or in bad weather I'll don a PFD.  All too easy to slip and conk your noggin; next thing ya know you're breathing water.  When coved up and when overnighting near the boat, I leave the bow locker lid open to ventilate, even though it has gaps for that purpose.

I have no problem fitting the rode and the chain and anchor in the anchor locker.  Everything fits nicely and I don't take to much care to coil it up.  There is a drain hole at the bottom of the locker, but mine needs to be drilled out because it is too small and my locker has been filling up with water

Ok it sounds like my rode and chain should fit in that locker so I'll have to try it next time I'm out. Probably going to be Friday at this point. Sounds like you guys don't worry about the chain nicking up the gel coat in there? I do need to look as I didn't see an eye or cleat in there to tie off to and there's no notch in the locker lid so I'd have to leave the lid open which I wouldn't want to do. I just tied off to the bow cleat and then to be safe I ran the bitter end across to the other bow cleat.

Hmm, my lid has a notch on each side . . . and a ring in the bottom of the locker for the bitter end (but no locker).  The locker 'glass isn't finished; no scuffs from the chain, although by the time the chain goes in, the anchor line pretty much cushions it.

2 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Hmm, my lid has a notch on each side . . . and a ring in the bottom of the locker for the bitter end (but no locker).  The locker 'glass isn't finished; no scuffs from the chain, although by the time the chain goes in, the anchor line pretty much cushions it.

I'll have to look and see what's what but I just looked at online pictures and I'm not seeing notches there either so who knows what I'll find :)

Back in my green years I once lost an anchor by tossing it well to port without securing the bitter end.  A short anchor line and the bitter end suddenly escaping my hand led me to decide to jump overboard to try to get it back.  Halfway over the gunnel I changed my mind.  Very comical for my passengers.  That anchor is still at the bottom of that cove.  I have two other anchors on the bottom of two other lakes . . . :(

LOL I could see me doing something like that. Since I haven't had to anchor a boat since I was like 15 or so, I felt like I had to go over every step in my head a few times since it's not ingrained in me. With the bigger boat tho, I anticipate we'll be doing it more vs just floating like we did in the old one since we'll be going out on weekends and busier times. Just need to develop a routine. We're still in the stage of putting things where we want on the boat as far as storing of life jackets, sunscreen, cups, plates, etc. and all the things we can just keep there vs hauling back and forth to the slip like we did on the old one.

My wife and I have it down:  

I'll head to the bow, she takes the helm.  I pitch the anchor over board and motion with hand gestures direction to reverse and when to hit neutral, whilst I'm testing the line's tautness (has the anchor caught).

To retrieve, I head to the bow and she takes the helm.  I motion her forward whilst I'm taking in line, hitting neutral as we approach over the top of the anchor.  I usually stand on the bow feeding line into the locker as I take it in.  This is why I sometimes throw on a PFD.  The anchor will usually need a bit of 'sluicing' to get any mud off.  As I'm securing the anchor, she will always have a towel within my reach to wipe everything down, including inside the locker (last).

Shockingly last nite I didn't have to jockey around it just caught. Which is good because I was out with two friends and not my husband and they wouldn't be taking the wheel. Even brining it up at first I thought it was caught but then we kind of drifted over top of it and I was able to pull it up. Since I can't have them at the helm if it's just us girls out I may try the box anchor too since allegedly that doesn't require setting 

1 hour ago, watson524 said:

I'll have to look and see what's what but I just looked at online pictures and I'm not seeing notches there either so who knows what I'll find :)

Your anchor rode lies in the ladder channel, which should be empty since the ladder stays deployed forward. Pick a side, then close the hatch.

This is what I use, a Digger Anchor.  But I generally anchor from the stern.  20+ MPH wind not uncommon on Lake Mead.  And much easier to pull it up from the swim platform anyway.

https://www.diggeranchor.com/summer-line

15 Pound Fresh Water Anchor

Ideal for 40 foot boats, pontoons, sailboats.

The world class "Digger" boat and pontoon anchor gets the job done right the first time. Not only will this anchor hold your boat where you put it, it also holds 300% better then other anchors. The Digger Anchor has unique grabber cleats that put constant downward pressure on the flukes to set fast and keep digging down, even in rough conditions. When it's time to head back for land, simply raise the anchor off the lake bed and give a slight jerk on the anchor rope. This allows the flukes to drop down - leaving the mud, sand, and weeds in the water. 

274883_284a22e6c80341cdb264dc0aaf529c4e~

18 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

Your anchor rode lies in the ladder channel, which should be empty since the ladder stays deployed forward. Pick a side, then close the hatch.

Why would the ladder be deployed? I actually don't see us ever using the bow ladder