SOUTHERN CROSS

mercruiser,audio warning system keeps sounding

my mercruiser twin is equipped with  an Audio warning System. The buzzer sounds when the key is turned on and is supposed to stop when the engine starts. 

The mercruiser manual says it indicates l.1. low oil pressure. 2. high tempeture 3. low drive lubricant.  All three are ok. 

where is the alarm located and what else should i be considering.  Everything else runs good except for the high screeching buzzer. 

Thanks in advance. 

Un-plug the lead wire to the drive lube bottle. See if that eliminates it. If so, you need a new one.

They get gummed up and do not work after time, even though the lube is full.

should I try both lead wires (2 bottles) one at a time.....what happens if this wire has come unstuck, broken etc....we have been jumping around a bit in the bottom servicing, rebuilding etc.

the alarms operate on a ground condition, They "arm" with the key on,  At the res bottle 1 is hot to alarm, other is ground, water temp and oil pressure switches produce a ground with high temp or no oil pressure

I have a boat that uses two stroke oil and it has a oil reservoir.  One time the magnet came off the float sensor and would continue to trip the "low oil" alarm.

You can use a multi meter and check the sensors.  

1 hour ago, SOUTHERN CROSS said:

thanks everyone. problem solved.....loose wire from thermastat to alarm. found it although the temp gauge was ok.

That's because there are two temperature senders. One feeds your helm display gauge and the other talks to the ECM.  W

thanks wingnut.  You are amazing with your knowledge. I read all of your posts.  Thanks keep on helping everyone please. 

7 hours ago, SOUTHERN CROSS said:

thanks wingnut.  You are amazing with your knowledge. I read all of your posts. 

Yeah, he's ok.  We'll keep him around for a little while longer I guess.

Thought i would add to this topic as our mate Wingnut may get messaged in. 

Same boat now. Its got twin drives and i have replaced shift linkages amongst other things. 

starboard engine and drive are fine. problem is no forward gear on Port side (counter rotating) when in the water. reverse is fine. Can engage forward and reverse on the trailer with muffs. 

Is the problem in the lower drive unit. if so what is the prognosis. 

5 hours ago, SOUTHERN CROSS said:

Thought i would add to this topic as our mate Wingnut may get messaged in. 

Same boat now. Its got twin drives and i have replaced shift linkages amongst other things. 

starboard engine and drive are fine. problem is no forward gear on Port side (counter rotating) when in the water. reverse is fine. Can engage forward and reverse on the trailer with muffs. 

Is the problem in the lower drive unit. if so what is the prognosis. 

My guess would be the rear shift cable. Disconnect it from the engine mounted shift lever and see if you can make it engage by hand. I'm guessing you have twin Alpha drives which use a simple dog clutch buried in the lower gear case just ahead of the prop and they either work or they don't as they are a simple device. A failing shift cable suffers from lateral deflection which can shift once in a while but not consistently. It may also be an adjustment issue where the neutral point is biased too far toward reverse, and not providing enough forward detent but you will confirm that when you hand shift it as you will be shifting without the normal travel limit. Getting a clean neutral even with a new cable is a little tricky as the shift interrupter switch comes into play and all the mechanical components must work in concert so that the momentary engine shut off, gear engagement, and throttle response all happen at the appropriate point in response to input from the helm station. That involves 3 cables, two switches, and several levers.  W