Boat Maintenance Kit

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on what parts you should always have on your boat for emergencies?  I am never that far from a marina...fresh water only.

i do keep a tool kit with all the basics and have fluids on my boat.

just wondering what spare parts are ideal to keep around.

A few different schools of thought, have nothing(bad idea) have everything, or have some of the basics.  IMO having everything doesn't make sense, only so much your going to do out on the water with the reasonable amount of tools you'll have on board.   Given the standard size of boats these days also only so much your going to fix.  I like to keep everything involved able to fit in like a small crate sized storage area. With that said this is what I like to have

-quart of oil and quart of drive fluid

-socket set that you know fits most fitings 10-12 sockets max

-flat head, and phillps screw driver

-allen key set

-electrical tape and duct tape

-spare impeller

-spare prop

-pliers

-dive mask

To be honest doing a good maint check beginning of the year and periodically can avoid issues and negate having to bring a bunch of crap with you.  Again depends on where you boat, I usually boat within say a few miles of dockage with frequent other boats going by not concerned about finding help. 

19 minutes ago, Senior said:

If you tow, always have an extra transom plug, and I always have bulbs for my navigation lights.

Once boating season starts the boat keys stay in the truck and so does the plug, learned a few times by leaving keys and such at home/garage was not a good idea.

$500 in $20s in a Ziplok freezer bag.

Adjustable wrench....Small set of SAE & Metric set WITH screw drivers . ALL in a Harbor Fright RIGID  plastic case. Cheap Harbor fright voltmeter.   DONE         Never broke down with any inboards.

OUTBOARDS ?  Spare plugs &ratchet  plug wrench...........Done.

All boats have spare key on a floating ring with spare drain plug.

I have a full size toolbox in my engine room with water pump impellers, thermostats and gaskets, fuel filter, oil filter, serpentine belt, other various parts. Prior to that I always had one of those fitted plastic toolkits with sockets, screwdrivers, etc.

As far as "should have thought of that" stuff, a roll of electrical tape, duct tape, various sized zip ties, wooden plug kit, electrical connectors, hose clamps, volt meter, multiple flashlights/headlights.

I'm not a fan adding weight and clutter to my boat.

I have: dual batteries that i test in spring, a couple screw drivers, electrical tape,  crescent wrench, cooler with cold drinks, cigars, koozies, snacks, cell phone, credit cards, cash..

Make sure your impeller isn't too old.  do your maintenance in spring and summer and relax.   

its gonna be tough working on your boat in the middle of the lake, when you are getting waked by other boats.

I keep doing as my great old mechanic has always said.

If it is not causing trouble ?    Leave it alone.  Or pay him to waste his time accomplishing nothing.

I can not argue with his logic.

10 hours ago, rreale said:

I'm not a fan adding weight and clutter to my boat.

I have: dual batteries that i test in spring, a couple screw drivers, electrical tape,  crescent wrench, cooler with cold drinks, cigars, koozies, snacks, cell phone, credit cards, cash..

Make sure your impeller isn't too old.  do your maintenance in spring and summer and relax.   

its gonna be tough working on your boat in the middle of the lake, when you are getting waked by other boats.

Yup.  My theory is if I cant fix it in 5-10mins its probably not going to happen

I have the marina do all maintenance in the fall and spring.  They do a water test of the boat when they launch in the spring to make sure there are no issues.  I carry only a few basic tools, my cell phone, credit card and BOATUS unlimited towing membership card.  

I use a brass transom drain plug. Important to use teflon tape on the threads. Just three wraps around it in a clockwise direction as you look at the end of the plug. Don't over tighten it! The teflon tape allows you to easily remove it after the boating season ends. If you skip the teflon tape, the brass will likely seize inside the female garboard threads.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:11 PM, soldier4402 said:

A few different schools of thought, have nothing(bad idea) have everything, or have some of the basics.  IMO having everything doesn't make sense, only so much your going to do out on the water with the reasonable amount of tools you'll have on board.   Given the standard size of boats these days also only so much your going to fix.  I like to keep everything involved able to fit in like a small crate sized storage area. With that said this is what I like to have

-quart of oil and quart of drive fluid

-socket set that you know fits most fitings 10-12 sockets max

-flat head, and phillps screw driver

-allen key set

-electrical tape and duct tape

-spare impeller

-spare prop

-pliers

-dive mask

To be honest doing a good maint check beginning of the year and periodically can avoid issues and negate having to bring a bunch of crap with you.  Again depends on where you boat, I usually boat within say a few miles of dockage with frequent other boats going by not concerned about finding help. 

I would add a fuel filter/s  to that list. When I was trailing, I would clip the plug to the steering wheel. I great reminder for me!  

I always keep JB Weld waterproof epoxy putty on my boat. The stuff is amazing and can be applied underwater. We used it to seal leaks in metal pools. Also lots of tools and extra impellers, water pressure sensor, IAC valve, fuel filters, extra nav light bulbs and zip ties. 

20AB88E9-32D3-4E13-8734-D82BF6ADF9C5.jpeg