Jminz

Single brakes in tandem axle

Noticed today that my trailer for my 220 ssi only has drum brakes on the rear axle. Are brakes on both axles not needed or was this a money saving issue at factory? If I were to add brakes to the other axle, what deer could I expect to pay for that? 

13 minutes ago, Jminz said:

Noticed today that my trailer for my 220 ssi only has drum brakes on the rear axle. Are brakes on both axles not needed or was this a money saving issue at factory? If I were to add brakes to the other axle, what deer could I expect to pay for that? 

Requirements vary state to state so check your local requirements. I too would add another set just for piece of mind and the guys at Eastern Marine Trailer Parts Super Store can hook you up with a inexpensive, top quality kit via mail order.  W

https://www.easternmarine.com/

I agree with both axles. Saltwater is brutal. Stagger your brake overhauls. That way you will have at least 1 axle in good shape. Or the braking effect of 2 wearing out axles.

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I agree with both axles. Saltwater is brutal. Stagger your brake overhauls. That way you will have at least 1 axle in good shape. Or the braking effect of 2 wearing out axles.

I'm fresh water fortunately. I just can't believe they would come with brakes on only one axle. 

As mentioned above, some states require brakes on all axles. So check.

if you are going to upgrade, swap to disc brakes. Better performance and less maintenance than drums.

brick

Each state is different in what they require you would have to look it up.  Personally on a boat of that size as long as I had well maintained working breaks Id feel 100% confident with one set as long as I was towing with a descent tow vehicle.  If I was towing with an suv or something that was iffy definitely two sets of brakes.  that 220 is relatively a small load.

Like Brick said if your going upgrade go disc.  Id trust one set of disk over two sets of drums anyday.

I'm in Kentucky. Trailer brakes are not required. Boat at Lake Cumberland. 

44 minutes ago, brick said:

As mentioned above, some states require brakes on all axles. So check.

if you are going to upgrade, swap to disc brakes. Better performance and less maintenance than drums.

brick

What does your 220 trailer have?

What is your towing vehicle ?  What is the tow rating?  If known ?

It can be important if even you go down 1 steep or long hill in traffic.  Been trapped in just such a condition.........I was calling out MOMMA.

As I rode the wide shoulder with over heated , failed brakes. Got very lucky with a turn off that was slightly up hill.

8 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

What is your towing vehicle ?  What is the tow rating?  If known ?

It can be important if even you go down 1 steep or long hill in traffic.  Been trapped in just such a condition.........I was calling out MOMMA.

As I rode the wide shoulder with over heated , failed brakes. Got very lucky with a turn off that was slightly up hill.

I tow with a 4runner. V8 with 7k lb tow package. Tows it well. It has "sport" brakes that are larger than other 4runners. I never feel like the boat is pushing me so I didn't know how close new brakes should be at the top of my boat mod list. For what it's worth ramp is 1 mile from storage. Will occasionally trailer it home a couple times a year, 140 miles. 

My last boat a 20 footer with tandem axles only had brakes on one axle. 

It is tough to accept that some boats are riding on a over capacity trailer.  Not the normal condition.

Talked to a guy that builds trailers for a living about putting brakes on my front axle.He said that I didn't need them.

Towing a 6500lb. package, with single axle drum brakes, on relatively flat land, with no issues. Now if I was trailering all the time, say in Tennessee, that is another whole story, along with a bigger truck. 

My old Crownline 202 on a tandem axle Prestige trailer had drums on the front axle. My Chap 210 SS trailer has drums on the rear tandem axle. Chap trailer is adjustable and not custom for the boat and stops fine behind my Ram 1500. Towed my old CL with an 02 Explorer with no stopping issues. I'm in MO. As a side note, CL 202s that were sold in Kansas only had single axle trailers. Like others have said, it really can vary state to state.

My trailer is a tandem trailer with drums on the rear axle. One day, I forgot pop the brake Lock-out before leaving home. I drove to the ramp and didn't even notice that the brakes were locked out. The F150 handles the trailer well. But this was all on flat surface roads.  Driving through the Virginias and Carolinas, would likely be a different story.

1 hour ago, SST said:

My trailer is a tandem trailer with drums on the rear axle. One day, I forgot pop the brake Lock-out before leaving home. I drove to the ramp and didn't even notice that the brakes were locked out. The F150 handles the trailer well. But this was all on flat surface roads.  Driving through the Virginias and Carolinas, would likely be a different story.

Having brakes is a good thing and don't think I am downplaying having them as you should and they should work.  But a modern half ton or larger towing anything under 5k lbs should easily handle that with or without brakes specially with cautious driving.  Fact of the matter is biggest truck in the world and with or without brakes a split second car hops in front of you nothing will save you.

My Tennessee Trailers has discs on the rear axle only. Brakes and coupler are made by UFP.  

brick

My Eagle trailer only had drums on rear. Converted to Kodiac disc on both axles. Like night and day.

My 21H2O's trailer came with disc brakes on both axles.  I feel that having brakes on both axles is a very worthwhile upgrade in terms of safety.  Its not about having adequate brakes for your usual trip to the lake.  Its for when you have to make a full effort panic stop, and a shorter stopping distance saves your butt or someone else's.  

To the OP, if you do decide on an upgrade, one of the main benefits of going to discs is they also won't require adjustments like the drums do.  Also research your actuator to make sure its rated for brakes on multiple axles and or disc brakes.  

13 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

Having brakes is a good thing and don't think I am downplaying having them as you should and they should work.  But a modern half ton or larger towing anything under 5k lbs should easily handle that with or without brakes specially with cautious driving.  Fact of the matter is biggest truck in the world and with or without brakes a split second car hops in front of you nothing will save you.

Already learned that on my own!  Two stupid teenagers did a U-Turn right in front of me. The didn't complete the turn, backed up and then completed the turn. Mean while, I'm coming at them at 45mph and 10500 lbs and sharing the intersection. I panic braked and hit the brakes hard. Fortunately, the Bronco's anti-lock brakes were working fine and I stopped before killing the girlfriend. The trailer stayed right behind the Bronco.  But the trailer tonge was damaged due to such immediate heavy braking. New one installed.

This is why you don't want to have a trailer weight heavier than your truck is allowed to pull. It only takes one stupid teenager to ruin your life.

On 5/31/2018 at 7:27 AM, cyclops2 said:

Stagger your brake overhauls. That way you will have at least 1 axle in good shape. Or the braking effect of 2 wearing out axles.

I don't agree with this I believe all brakes should be maintained and in good condition at all times

I agree with you.  On a fully loaded trailer. With money not being a problem

But in the real world. Things turn out differently with a trailer.