TexasPilot71

Trailer Security

What's the best way you have found to secure your boat trailer when away on a trip?  We're going to Florida in a couple weeks and by the looks of it, we will park our trailer in an unsecured yard after launching.  It will remain there for a week.  I'm a little concerned as it's a nice, new trailer and I don't want it to roll away during one of the 7 nights we are there.

I'd prolly go with a coupler lock, a wheel clamp, and a cable with a good padlock through two wheels.  Park under a light.

Dont use a cable. Use a chain. Chains are much tougher to cut, and make noise when being cut through with bolt cutters. Dont ask me how I know. I never got that quad back. That was the advice I got from the sheriff, he stated that the cables with a plastic cover, the plastic cover acts as a noise insulator so cutting the cable makes almost no noise.

Good tips.  Thanks, guys.  I was about to purchase a Reese coupler lock, but then I saw YouTube videos illustrating how easy they were to defeat.  All you need is a hammer.  One clunk.  I've heard the same thing about chains versus cable.  Apparently half inch chain is the way to go and it should be run through the wheels.

Russian Roulette.   Make sure you have FULL coverage on car, trailer, boat, ALL things installed in all 3 vehicles. 

My insurance company gives me a  $ 50 extra cost  coverage to replace everything or anything in a risky area for a short trip......................... I wake up several times a night & look at the rig with cell phone in hand.  I would never leave the room............... 911 handles ALL the break in.

2 hours ago, Toddler said:

And don't forget the wheel lug locks.......

I'd probably take the wheels off and set it up on blocks but that's just me and I'm ultra paranoid.

3 hours ago, watson524 said:

I'd probably take the wheels off and set it up on blocks but that's just me and I'm ultra paranoid.

And where would one put them?

3 hours ago, watson524 said:

Paranoid or not that's probably going to be a huge deterrent to theft.

Is the trailer going to be hooked to the truck?  If so, I'd try to back it up against some immovable object like a building or light pole. Otherwise just chain it up and try not to worry about it too much. If somebody really wants it, or something off of it, there's really nothing you can do. You have insurance, don't let worrying about it cut into fun time. 

8 hours ago, TNBrett said:

Is the trailer going to be hooked to the truck?  If so, I'd try to back it up against some immovable object like a building or light pole. Otherwise just chain it up and try not to worry about it too much. If somebody really wants it, or something off of it, there's really nothing you can do. You have insurance, don't let worrying about it cut into fun time. 

Nope, the trailer will be in a yard with other trailers while my truck will be in the parking lot at the condo.  I have full insurance, but what scares me is not knowing how I'll get the boat home if the trailer is gone.  Yikes!

I won't stress over it and I won't take extreme measures.  Just looking for some easy ideas.  Thanks again!

Not sure how easy this idea might be ...

How about renting a space for a month in some nearby secure self storage place. They often have some parking spaces for trailers etc, gated access and security cameras.

... and use the wheels as boat fenders ... :D ... every respected tugboat does it.

2 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Nope, the trailer will be in a yard with other trailers while my truck will be in the parking lot at the condo.  I have full insurance, but what scares me is not knowing how I'll get the boat home if the trailer is gone.  Yikes!

I won't stress over it and I won't take extreme measures.  Just looking for some easy ideas.  Thanks again!

I could motor it back to TX for yah. I bet the transportation charges would be cheaper. I'd have to give up a few Tee Times to help you out.

B)

13 hours ago, Toddler said:

I could motor it back to TX for yah. I bet the transportation charges would be cheaper. I'd have to give up a few Tee Times to help you out.

B)

Haha!  Me first!!

14 hours ago, Richard W said:

Not sure how easy this idea might be ...

How about renting a space for a month in some nearby secure self storage place. They often have some parking spaces for trailers etc, gated access and security cameras.

That's a thought.  Not sure I'm that paranoid, but I did ask the question, right?  :)

80% of crimes are crimes of opportunity.  Which means a lock any old lock will prevent 80% of criminals from  touching your stuff.  That's all you can really do, much thought past locking is a waste of time and can make enjoying yourself tough.  For my trailer I have a master lock that locks tight to the latch, I'm sure it could be sawed through that's time consuming though, by fitting so tight to the latch theres no way to get bolt cutters in there.  Beyond a lock that's why I got insurance, sure makes for a rough trip if something gets stolen but you can only do what you can do.

If I was the type to worry about it much.  I might get a nice chain and go through the holes in two wheels and lock them together.  Worst case maybe take one wheel off and set it in the truck. 

Other things are keeping trailers where are there other trailers around, where its light or where theres some form of human presence.

In addition to other security devices, take a wheel or two off. Belt and suspenders method...

brick

I like the idea of using one or two 1/2" chains and locking the wheels to the frame and walking away and not worry, knowing it will stop most thieves and you did the best you could without going overboard. And also, if possible, that was a good idea TNBrett had of backing it up to something solid and  locking the trailer to that.

Good stuff (again).  Thanks!  The yard looks to be quite "open" with nothing to chain it to.  It's a triple torsion axle trailer, and there will be no boat on it, so they could easily move it unless I removed three tires from one side.  Not going to do that.  I like the idea of a lock on the coupler and a chain through a couple wheels and frame.  That's easy and should be more than enough deterrent.  Triple axle trailers are bountiful in Florida, so maybe they'l look elsewhere.

If you take a wheel off of the trailer you can just throw it in your tow vehicle while your gone.  Just one tire will deter the thieves to look elsewhere.  Make sure you take the spare off the trailer as well.

How about leaving it hitched to the truck, and backed up against a wall or solid object?

Or put “Bayliner” stickers on the trailer...

brick