Jump to content
LaurenVR

She’s buying her first boat...

Recommended Posts

Interested in my first boat besides an aluminum rowboat from childhood. 

‘Looking at a 2008 255 SSI. 100 hours on the engine. It’s for my family of six. Kids aged 2-10. We live in the Outer Banks and have a cabin on Lake James. Want a boat to run in both. Thoughts?

we would be interested in day trips, running in shore, out on the lake, water sports. Hanging out at the islands in the lake. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know which engine and outdrive the boat has?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Very nice 2008 255 SSI by Chaparral. Right at 100 hours of use. Radar arch, camper package, cockpit cover, and more. Just out fitted with new electronics last year•HDS-9 Gen3 Insight Chartplotter w/B60 Bronze 600 W Thru Hull 50/200 Khz Depth/Temp (20° tilt), Lowrance 3G Radar (US),Link-5 VHF Radio, Link-2 VHF Hand Held Radio, NMEA 2000 network backbone with Wifi, and Point-1 GPS antenna with built-in compass.
volvo penta gxi 5.7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really great looking boat.  Don’t have any experience in those waters, but it looks like a great family boat!   Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LaurenVR said:

Interested in my first boat besides an aluminum rowboat from childhood. 

‘Looking at a 2008 255 SSI. 100 hours on the engine. It’s for my family of six. Kids aged 2-10. We live in the Outer Banks and have a cabin on Lake James. Want a boat to run in both. Thoughts?

we would be interested in day trips, running in shore, out on the lake, water sports. Hanging out at the islands in the lake. 

 

 

100 indicated hours on a 2008 is strangely low. If the stated total hours is taken off an hour meter, then I would have the ECM accessed via a marine hand held scan tool in order to confirm that the indication is accurate. There is additional information available to the tech also like raw water pressure, hours operated at WOT, and any error codes from previous events which are stored in the histogram. Things like over heating and over speed events. All good information to have and a good marine surveyor will insist on viewing that data.  W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wingnut is seriously right.  Follow his advice. You MUST  MUST have a experienced Marine surveyor do a full test. All the electronics is typical of a saltwater boat. The Marine Surveyor WILL save you money on that low hours of use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would strongly suggest you find out which Marine Surveyor the selling p[ace uses.

Then pick any other . Reason  The one used by the seller............. Should be less critical of any faults of the boat.

But the others may be less competent........................ That is life...............Best odds I can give is a 50  /  50 chance.

Get lucky.    Enjoy the Chap.    :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized that you are at sea. Ask the Marine surveyor if the boat looks like it was flooded with water.

DO NOT buy any flooded boat . Endless problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t tell from the pictures , but make sure it does not have the dreaded defective Volvo XDP drive...

brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, brick said:

I can’t tell from the pictures , but make sure it does not have the dreaded defective Volvo XDP drive...

brick

Looks like the SX-A, DPS. Good solid drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding hours: my thought is that a cuddy cabin will accrue fewer hours than its open bow brethren, due to different usage (generally speaking).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 owners and saw the boat today. Doing sea trial this week. It’s in good shape and I think we are getting a good deal. It’s loaded with everything. It’s been maintained by the same dealer since he sold it the first time. The second owners wife didn’t care for boating. So he just kept adding stuff then decided to sell it. It’s been in storage since sept 17. But all the service regularly since new. Anything a newbie should look for during trial?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LaurenVR said:

2 owners and saw the boat today. Doing sea trial this week. It’s in good shape and I think we are getting a good deal. It’s loaded with everything. It’s been maintained by the same dealer since he sold it the first time. The second owners wife didn’t care for boating. So he just kept adding stuff then decided to sell it. It’s been in storage since sept 17. But all the service regularly since new. Anything a newbie should look for during trial?

That will be a jackpot if you will get that boat. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LaurenVR said:

2 owners and saw the boat today. Doing sea trial this week. It’s in good shape and I think we are getting a good deal. It’s loaded with everything. It’s been maintained by the same dealer since he sold it the first time. The second owners wife didn’t care for boating. So he just kept adding stuff then decided to sell it. It’s been in storage since sept 17. But all the service regularly since new. Anything a newbie should look for during trial?

That almost looks too good to be true, especially with those hours and especially that price.  It even has a radar.  If it performs well at the sea trial and surveyor can confirm the 100 hours are original, I would do it.  Although if it wasn't seemingly such a good deal, a bowrider or open bow might be better for the kids etc., but that's just a preference.  Good luck and keep us posted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 1:17 AM, DeewD said:

That will be a jackpot if you will get that boat. ;)

 

22 hours ago, Hatem said:

That almost looks too good to be true, especially with those hours and especially that price.  It even has a radar.  If it performs well at the sea trial and surveyor can confirm the 100 hours are original, I would do it.  Although if it wasn't seemingly such a good deal, a bowrider or open bow might be better for the kids etc., but that's just a preference.  Good luck and keep us posted. 

That price is above low retail and below average retail listed in the NADA guide for the location.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dennis A said:

That price is above low retail and below average retail listed in the  the NADA guide for the location.  

I stand corrected.  It seemed low for a boat that year and with such low hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 7:11 AM, Hatem said:

 a bowrider or open bow might be better for the kids etc., but that's just a preference.  

This is a seriously good point!  The cruisers of this size (mine included) have very little cockpit space.  6 kids and an adult or two will be very cramped.  Open bow has MUCH more room, but of course you lose the cabin if that's important to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×