Sign in to follow this  
Jayhud

Sunesta 224

Hi , I just bought a 2016 Sunesta 224 with 5.7 merc in it and I want to put in dual batteries, the marina wants almost 1300 bucks and I figure someone can help me would be greatly appreciated and a hek of a lot cheaper!!!

Lots of info on the Web.  Here's a decent article.  Pretty straight forward and easy project.

https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-install-marine-dual-battery-system

What is your reason for duals ? Dual for engine ? Or long music run times on 1 battery ?

Hard to start engine ?

Did mine on a 2014 224 with a 5.0 using mostly You tube videos, fairly straight forward and easy.  Quick question for you, have you been having any issues with your depth finder dropping out? Mine has been crapping out in 15 ft to 300 ft of water trolling, after the Marina replaced 2 gauges they now say its a Sunesta thing, cavitation of the hull. Just wondering if anyone else has the issue.  

Same here. My stock depth finder worked fine first 2-3 years and then started showing 1m / 3ft depths at full speed quite often. If I had no blucharts with my garmin gps, I'd get a heart attack but now I am used to it showing bad readings at speed. Not sure why, it worked fine while under warranty (hmmm).

I typically watch both the depth on the chartplotter and the multi-function gauge.  The multi-function depth finder seems to drop out/be inaccurate more than the chartplotter.  I rely upon a combination of both depth gauges and the chart.  Plus, I have an additional benefit of knowing the water I'm in I am a lot of the time.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:04 PM, Jayhud said:

Hi , I just bought a 2016 Sunesta 224 with 5.7 merc in it and I want to put in dual batteries, the marina wants almost 1300 bucks and I figure someone can help me would be greatly appreciated and a hek of a lot cheaper!!!

I started out with a single battery as well.  Bear in mind that you likely don't have a battery isolator with a single battery (or at least I didn't), so when you add a 2nd battery, the system will only charge the battery that is selected.  Not a big deal, just alternate the batteries that you use.

I'm mentioning this because there have been other discussions that point out that the system will charge both/all batteries regardless of selection.  In fact, the marina that installed my 2nd battery thought the same thing until we tested.  They advised that the isolator is required for a always-charging-all solution.

Thanks to all , to my first question , I live in Niagara Falls, doing a lot of boating in the Niagara River as well as Welland River, both having significant currents.  Hence just want to be safe than sorry and not be on the news!!!

Secondly , my sunesta has a garmin navigation system with all the digital readouts , and to this date have not had any issues with depth finder