Sign in to follow this  
GaryA

Two New Batteries Dead

Hi, I just purchased a 2006 236ssi and had two new batteries installed.  I was out with my girls and started getting the warning beep, I turned off the boat thinking it was overheating and it wouldn't start back up.  I had the battery switch on both.  My question is where should I put the switch (1,2 or Both) and why would 2 batteries drain so quickly?  Lastly is there way I can test to see if the Alternator is not working?

Thanks

Should use the battery switch according to the odd or even date . Never have the switch set to both except to emergency start the motor. A quick check for the alt is to turn the key to on, look at the voltmeter, start engine, look for a rise in the voltage to around 13.6- 14.0. No rise in voltage = no charging

Thanks, I think the alternator is not working and I drained both batteries since I had it on both.  Any idea how much to replace?

Have that battery guy show you the NEW battery dates on each 1 of them.  

Did he fully charge them up before giving you the boat back ? He should have.

He did not even run the engine after installing 2 batteries to check volt meter ?  Why not ?

You might want to install a battery combiner. Both batteries will charge with the engine running, no matter how the switch is set. Engine off, the combiner will turn off. 

Have the batteries charged and then get the alternator checked. Resolve the reason for the boat running off the batteries, before introducing new equipment, as in combiners, etc. I say this, because with the switch in BOTH, both banks would get charged in your scenario IF the alternator was charging. 

Bingo Wylie.

There could be something DRAWING CURRENT all the time.  Like running blowers or bilge pumps. Even night time dash lights. Alternator belt is slipping when charging.