willbaker13

New Trailer Tires - Recommendations Needed

We're setting off on a 1k mile each way journey, mostly highway, and am thinking we need to replace the trailer tires before leaving  - the tread is good but each tire has some weather cracking and with the family and a loaded truck the piece of mind is worth the expense.  Open to recommendations as our local tire centers carry Carlisle (which I would like to avoid) and a couple brands i have never heard of.  Ideally, I'd like a "D" rated tire but that is not a deal breaker.  Tire size is 215/75/R14.  

maxxis radials a bit more money but cheaper than breaking down 

A 10 % derated PASSENGER tire will last forever. With no weather checking again. 

I am on my 2nd set of car tires. Steel belted & U V protected tires on a 1986 boat trailer . It sits outdoors all year

Consider Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. I would not use “P” rated passenger tires on a trailer.

Any  tire over 5 years old should be replaced . And consider taking two spares  

brick

I was just looking at the Goodyear Endurance online.  Good reviews and made in the US.  I'm leaning that way now I believe - found a local shop that sells them.  

Light Truck tires are not a good idea on a trailer. Trailers have no suspension to speak of so the side walls take a beating.

+1 on Bricks advice. 

Something to remember & understand.

Car tires can & are now Standard equipment on new boat trailers. Legal.

NO trailer rated tire can ever be used on any car.  LAWSUIT for sure in a accident.

Which tire is better & safer ?

Ever see a trailer rated tire WITH A MILEAGE WARRANTY ?

1 hour ago, brick said:

Consider Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. I would not use “P” rated passenger tires on a trailer.

Any  tire over 5 years old should be replaced . And consider taking two spares  

brick

+1.  currently running marathons, when they age out i will replace with endurance.  I also carry 2 spares.   

I think I got the last set of Marathons in my town for my cargo trailer.

I concur with your feelings about Carlisle tires.....I had horrible experiences (3!) with Carlisle tires on a previous boat trailer.    Even though the trailer and tires were less than 3 years old and I always checked the tire pressure before towing, I had 3 separate blow-outs on the highway.   Thankfully it was a double axle trailer, but it's not how you want to spend your afternoon when starting out on a vacation.

The Sea Lion Trailer I purchased for the Chappy in 2007 came with Kenda Load-Star K550 tires and after 8 years of use with; no issues, good ride, even wear, and no signs of dry-rot, I decided to replace all 4 with the exact same tires.   The price is very reasonable, and I had no reason to try anything else after having such good results with them.   I do apply 303 Protectant to the sidewalls twice each year and cover them in the off-season.   

I still had the original spare tire on the trailer as of last month.   Even though I keep a cover on the tire, the back-side is exposed to sunlight in a few places and I noticed that there was dry-rot on the sidewall in those areas.   After 11 years, I didn't want to push my luck if I ever needed to use the spare, so I decided to replace it just 2 weeks ago.   I found the same Load-Star tire in stock at my local Pep Boys, so I picked it up just before we brought the boat & trailer up to the lake for the season.   I wanted to mention this last part about the spare tire because after seeing the dry-rot (UV damage), I decided to buy a new cover and used the old cover to protect the back side of the tire from UV damage.   Before mounting the new spare tire to the trailer, I applied 303 Protectant, put the old cover on over the back side of the tire, cut holes for the 2 bolts, remounted the tire onto the trailer, and then put the new cover on -  the tire now protected on BOTH sides from UV damage.   

Coincidentally, I just ordered 3 new wheels with this same Kenda tire (from Walmart)for a friend's boat trailer on Sunday.....and while I was replying to your post, Fed Ex delivered the tires.....at 9:30 PM - geez!!   I went to their house this weekend to install a new Trailer Light Kit for them and saw how dry-rotted the trailer tires were.  They are planning to tow this trailer & boat over 6 hours to Maine, so I knew they could be in for a very bad experience if they tried to tow on those old tires.

I've also switched to Goodyears, Every five years I rotate the oldest ones. I also have 2 spares they get rotated every 5 years. Its a 3 year rotation, 2 tires for three years 2 years no tires (Knock on Wood).

I'll go head and be the dissenting opinion on Carlisle tires.  Perhaps some of the bad experiences were with their cheaper offerings.  I ran the Radial Trail RH for a while on a few trailers at work.  They were a decent tire.  I never had any failure issues with them, but the tread wear was not so great.  When they came out with the Radial Trail HD, I started using those.  They are a great tire.  The only issue I've had was where a driver trying to back a generator over a curb, hit it so hard that he destroyed the rim, and cut the sidewall.  They have a nice stable ride, and wear like iron.  I have been very pleased with these tires.  I also currently run the Goodyear Endurance on a couple of our trailers.  They seem to be a really good tire as well.  They pull well, but the tread seems very shallow on them.  I've not worn any of them out yet, just an observation.  I for one was never a big fan of the Goodyear Marathon.  I had a couple of blow outs with them, and no matter how much air pressure, they always felt you were pulling your trailer around on marshmallows.  

I wouldn't put passenger tires on a trailer either.  And unless my boat weight about  grand I would never put anything less than a load range D on a boat trailer and would probably stick with load range e. 

I'm running Kenda tires on my current trailer.  They have good reviews.  My best advice is steer clear of any off brand, made in China tires.  After blowing out 4 tires on 1 trip, I'll never buy cheap tires again.  And always check the date code on the tires you buy to ensure they aren't selling you old inventory.

4 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I'm running Kenda tires on my current trailer.  They have good reviews.  My best advice is steer clear of any off brand, made in China tires.  After blowing out 4 tires on 1 trip, I'll never buy cheap tires again.  And always check the date code on the tires you buy to ensure they aren't selling you old inventory.

Kenda Rubber Industrial Company is a manufacturer of pneumatic tires in Taiwan since 1962 with manufacturing facilities in Taiwan, Mainland China, and Vietnam.  OK, I'm confused. 

2 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Kenda Rubber Industrial Company is a manufacturer of pneumatic tires in Taiwan since 1962 with manufacturing facilities in Taiwan, Mainland China, and Vietnam.  OK, I'm confused. 

yes but they are a big name and have a good rep.  Like most Goodyear are made in China.  I'm saying don't buy some off brand name.  

Just now, MonkeySeaII said:

yes but they are a big name and have a good rep.  Like most Goodyear are made in China.  I'm saying don't buy some off brand name.  

Got it...  W

+1 on the Goodyear Endurance. Had them on my last trailer and have them on my current. Never an issue with the triple axle and the flexing of the sidewalls when making tight turns. Done a 2600 mile one way trip back from Texas on them without an issue.

just bought 2 new Goodyear Endurance tires from discount on Saturday, 225/75/15, load range E, 322 deer for everything.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts/feedback.  My local Discount Tire was able to secure the Endurance's from another store and I have an appointment Saturday to put them on.  I did find it strange that no one (manufacturer) offers a warranty for a ST tire but Discount offers a new replacement program, for any reason, for about 16 deer each.  

Good time to re-lube the bearings as well as I'm not sure the previous owner ever did it.

Rubber aside, always a good idea to re-pack your wheel bearings and inspect your brakes. Did a cross-country trek from LA to MKE a year ago. Before taking off I had the brakes inspected and glad I did - 3 of the 4 calipers were sized. Boats are heavy, weight+inertia is a real thing (thank you 7th grade physics) and calipers/pads are small price to pay compared to the alternative.

2 hours ago, willbaker13 said:

I appreciate everyone's thoughts/feedback.  My local Discount Tire was able to secure the Endurance's from another store and I have an appointment Saturday to put them on.  I did find it strange that no one (manufacturer) offers a warranty for a ST tire but Discount offers a new replacement program, for any reason, for about 16 deer each.  

Good time to re-lube the bearings as well as I'm not sure the previous owner ever did it.

Wally world is typically where I have got my marathons and they offer road hazard as well for a nominal fee.