watson524

Drive showers?

How many people use them on B3s? We don't go above around 35 - 40mph for extended periods of time (lake isn't long enough) but could have a 5 minute or so run plus if we want to go other places like the Hudson river where you could go longer.... worth it? MUST have, NICE to have?

I love mine.  My Mercruiser Bravo 3 used to always come home with chalky white residue all over the top of the unit.  The first time I took it on the river with the drive shower is the last time it had the chalky residue after cruising.  Mine bolted on with no drilling.

Is the chalky residue from salt water? We're in fresh water only tho I think their purpose is primarily for cooling and secondarily for looks. I haven't seen my OD since we put it in a month ago (slip stored, tho it'll be coming out soon for the 20 hour)

16 minutes ago, Parker said:

I love mine.  My Mercruiser Bravo 3 used to always come home with chalky white residue all over the top of the unit.  The first time I took it on the river with the drive shower is the last time it had the chalky residue after cruising.  Mine bolted on with no drilling.

What brand do you have? I know Simrek has a bolt on one

I have them on my drives but it came with boat when i purchased it from a private owner.  I don't think it's a must have or a need.  But probably just a want.  I think many folks with B3 don't have issues doing long runs and over heating issues.  

It depends on the amount of minerals in your water.

Every 2 or 3 years a paper towel soaked with Vinegar removed the white residue.  Good enough.

Unless you have a high performance set up or something going on with water, kind of a waste IMO.  wouldn't ever hurt anything, but don't see the benefit unless you have a need and most don't here.

Ok so it sounds like with just normal routine maitenance, OD oil changes, checking levels, they should be ok.

I do a lot of cruising for a few miles, then floating, then sometimes tubing, and more cruising on the Missouri River in a typical boating day.  Mine completely stopped the residue.  The brand I installed is Simrek a few years ago.  Before the drive shower, rarely did I not have to break out the NauticalEase drive cleaner.  

I put one on my B3.  It helps to keep the upper gears cool.  They're not expensive.  I don't run hard for long distances, but I put one on anyway.

Out drive gets hot, boils the water, what is left are the mineral deposits.

The faster you go, the hotter the drive, but you will get the deposits as soon as you get the drive above the water.

It will run cooler and cleaner.

This is my 3rd season and no deposits.  Denny.

IMG_3759.jpg