Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Kim

Fuel leakage on the brand new 19 H2O

I picked up my 2018 19 H2O a week ago, tried it at the lake three times. From the first time, I smelled gas whenever I stop the engine and thought the smell is just temporary. Till yesterday's trip, I opened the engine hood, found the fuel at the bottom the hull and found the hose connected to the engine leaks. Took the boat back to the dealer this morning, they checked and said it's not loosed. So it should the installation issue or defective part was installed. Does Chaparral do QC after the engine is installed?

Leaking gas is a ticking time bomb. The dealer needs to repair this issue at no cost to you .  Do not use the boat again til this is repaired

2 minutes ago, Ron R said:

Leaking gas is a ticking time bomb. The dealer needs to repair this issue at no cost to you .  Do not use the boat again til this is repaired

Thanks. I left the boat to the dealer this morning.

Does Chaparral do QC after the engine is installed?

Of course they do. Your dealer is the one to blame for not checking it prior to delivery. It should have been taken care

of before your 4th ride on that powder keg.

5 hours ago, Patrick Kim said:

I picked up my 2018 19 H2O a week ago, tried it at the lake three times. From the first time, I smelled gas whenever I stop the engine and thought the smell is just temporary. Till yesterday's trip, I opened the engine hood, found the fuel at the bottom the hull and found the hose connected to the engine leaks. Took the boat back to the dealer this morning, they checked and said it's not loosed. So it should the installation issue or defective part was installed. Does Chaparral do QC after the engine is installed?

Update: The dealer just called me to pick up the boat, they said the brass fuel fittings going into the engine loosed and they took it off, cleaned it, put it back, ran the engine till it hot, and didn't see the leakage anymore. I will keep watching that area in the future. Thanks for all comments.

On 6/6/2018 at 4:33 PM, Patrick Kim said:

Update: The dealer just called me to pick up the boat, they said the brass fuel fittings going into the engine loosed and they took it off, cleaned it, put it back, ran the engine till it hot, and didn't see the leakage anymore. I will keep watching that area in the future. Thanks for all comments.

On 6/6/2018 at 4:33 PM, Patrick Kim said:

Update 2: Took the boat back from the dealer, tried it on the lake and found it still leaks. I noticed that it doesn't leak when the engine is running, but after I stop the boat and shut off the engine, it starts to leak. I took the boat back to the dealer, they promised they will look deeper into it this time. I hope they will fix that.

Notify the USCG about the unrepairable gasoline leak.  That gets attention much faster. plus a possible recall of other people with the same dangerous problem.  The dealer is legally in line for willfully endangering you. Notify your boat insurance company also. They will notify the dealership of lawsuit damages without any defense.

Dealer has dangerous mechanics & is totally liable. 

I would also look for a different dealer if possible.

YOU  are not supposed to risk your life like that .A phone call and E Mail to Chaparral is in order.