1 hour ago, WaterDR said:

1500 well maintained hours is a lot better than 500 hours treated like #$^%.

B3 I think are noticeably better in performance and handling than an A1 or B1.  The big advantage is that a 5.0 with a B3 may even out perform a 5.7 with an A1.  The BIG downside is when crap goes bad.

One other point....

As you consider power options, IMO an outboard is a WAY better option.  Easier to maintain, more reliable, etc..... Frankly, I don’t know why anyone would even want an IO unless the size of the boat dictates otherwise.  

Heck, I have a friend with a 37ft boat with two 300 HP outboards.  Outboards have a bad old rap for being two stroke, maint headaches, noisy, and only for small boats.  None of that is true.

when I get rid of my current boat, I will never own an IO again, unless I have no other option.

I think the paradigm of outboards as described is a bit outdated.  It's been over a decade since that thought process has been in force and has hit cliche status this may years out.

Take a look at ocean boats....Outboards rule the day and have for a long time.  I'd have posted this in maybe the early 2000's when the fours stroke outboards were still getting their feet under them.  Of course in my state, the bowrider is on on its last breath as tritoons take over but not because they are outboards but because you can get rid of your bowrider, your go fast boat and your fishing boat, sell two of the three boat lifts, remove much of your dock system and off load two of your insurance policies. Of course for every bowrider that disappears a wake boat re appears as well so there is that.  

The other day, I actually raced a brand new tritoon and barely beat him and he only had one engine on it.  I had to hit 53 to finally pull away.  

These toons are not your fathers pontoons :)

dealers here sell everything they have 

On June 7, 2018 at 7:45 AM, CKSNAP said:

Not boat related but interesting to compare. I recently had a medium duty Diesel engine in a truck I own rebuilt. It had over 21,000 hours on it. DT466E Navistar. 

Just this past week at work I received a fresh zero hour spec rebuild of a Deere 4045t for one of our generators. It had 24,000 hours on it. Still load banked fine, but had been using oil for the last 500 hrs or so. Then oil seals went in the turbo, so it was time to pull her. 

I can buy 35 inboards  or 6 sterndrives for the price of 1 outboard.   all rated at 250 hp or higher.

At 300 hp and stronger not 1 can run as trouble free as a auto V 8.   The Aluminum does not retain shape like massive stiffer iron.

I want to thank everyone for these very insightful remarks and comments. All good stuff, very much appreciated.  Looks like the over-all consensus is to drop back and punt and search for a vessel with lower hours. Perhaps not so much for the engine as for other mechanical components related to the out-drive. Seems manufacturing practices changed significantly after 2002. Thanks again and happy boating

On 6/10/2018 at 11:18 AM, JoeGreenville said:

I want to thank everyone for these very insightful remarks and comments. All good stuff, very much appreciated.  Looks like the over-all consensus is to drop back and punt and search for a vessel with lower hours. Perhaps not so much for the engine as for other mechanical components related to the out-drive. Seems manufacturing practices changed significantly after 2002. Thanks again and happy boating

Thanks for putting up with us!