Ottawaguy

Attaching the ladder to boat

I have a 2008 chaparral 190ssi that I recently purchased. I have the ladder, but it wasn't attached and the screws are missing. How do I attach this to the boat? It looks hollow inside the existing holes where the ladder should attach.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1466.JPG

through bolt with good sized washers and nylon insert lock nuts on the backside.  Put some sealant around the bolts when installing and under the ladder to keep leaks away.  I think the back of the 190 is set up like my 210.  good luck reaching back there to install the washers/nuts.  You may have to figure out a way to extend your reach to install those, ie. a yardstick with double sided tape, hold the washer and locknut in place and have someone turn the screw/bolts from topside.  

Oh, so it's open to below? From the motor area somewhere? But it is just hard to reach. 

Thanks, that helps.

yes, open to the engine compartment.  You may be able to reach back there somehow by laying across the top of the engine after removing the small carpet covered cross piece above the engine (I believe the 190 has that like my 210 does).  It gives a little better access to the engine compartment from the top, but not much.  You can also remove the rear seat and access through the flaps.  But I think they're too small to get your shoulders through and don't think you can reach to the underside of the ladder recess so that won't be a lot of help either.   Either way, you'll be able to see where they go, but probably not reach them.  I believe you'll be having to hold up the washer/bolt with some sort of extension.  If you are lucky, you know someone with really, really long arms.

there was a write up on this forum about how to do this.  the guy duct taped a box wrench to a broom stick. taped off one side of the box wrench, inserted the nut and his helper screwed it in.

Crap. It's sooo hard to get to that area. The ladder definitely needs to be through bolted with large washers. How big is the angled section? Is it large enough to install a small deckplate to give you access? This is the ladder compartment on my 210 SS. I had to install a  deckplate inside so I could access the inside of the transom area to through bolt my swimplatform brackets. Also installed one inside the port side transom storage locker.

y4mgYYgN6aVVfEu4wdAkiAA0QsbiRco_KJsMB7XO

Another thought. What about these? Or maybe some other type of anchors. Fill the holes with a buttload of 5200 and maybe even use some sort of adhesive on he ladder frame to go with it. 51pBeIn2LML._SL1100_.jpg

Or maybe try some of those expanding rubber fasteners. They push into the hole from the top and expand on the bottom side as you tighten down the thru bolt. Kinda like a drywall anchor.

Mine were just loose, not completely missing.  The wife crawled back there and held the nut while I tightened from the top, she said never again!

Ok, so finally i used duck tape and the end of a mop my wife bought at a dollar store. Just tape the washer and nut and somebody on the top screws it in while you hold it in place from the bottom. You can pull the screw up from the top while you keep screwing to get it right, any leftover duck tape on the bottom just helped create friction so you could tighten it from the top, as the solution was only sturdy enough to get the screw started into the nut.

thanks for all of your help and suggestions

23B2EFFA-F00E-4537-9D1C-1830DF270D34.jpeg