mrfixit

Moving On

After 9 great seasons with our Chap it's time to move on. We decided to move up to a cruiser and are about to close on a Formula 40pc. Although I don't spend as much time on the forum as I used to, it's been a great place to find information and nice people to talk to and share stories with. I wanted to stay with Chaparral but I wanted a cruiser with a little more room and one that I could cruise 30 mph with. The current owner and myself brought it up from Ft Myers Florida 2 weeks ago and it was a great trip. If anyone is looking for a great 276 pm me.

After that trip you know what you have, and the fact that the owner was willing to ride along I think speaks volumes as to his confidence in the boat. Best of luck to you, and in a perfect world I too would be driving a Formula. Curious as to how your new ride is powered?  W

Thanks for the kind words. Twin 370hp volvo pods. I thought of you as we were passing stillpond 2 weeks ago. We made from portsmouth in a day. Left at 6:30am stopped for fuel at 9,lost an hr because the gas attendant overslept and pulled into Dredge Harbor at 6:15. Stopped at Sheaffers for a cheesesteak to go and kept on bogeying. Ran it up to full throttle in the canal and she topped out at 45mph with the tide. She handled the bay like a champ.

3 hours ago, mrfixit said:

Thanks for the kind words. Twin 370hp volvo pods. I thought of you as we were passing stillpond 2 weeks ago. We made from portsmouth in a day. Left at 6:30am stopped for fuel at 9,lost an hr because the gas attendant overslept and pulled into Dredge Harbor at 6:15. Stopped at Sheaffers for a cheesesteak to go and kept on bogeying. Ran it up to full throttle in the canal and she topped out at 45mph with the tide. She handled the bay like a champ.

If you ever drop the hook here on the Upper Chesapeake, I want a tour.  W

That's the plan. Hopefully we can take some trips down to the bay this summer. My son is now working in the family business so that's what prompted me to go for a cruiser. I was able to take off 6 days to run it up from Fla. while he and my wife ran the shop. The boat was really well taken care of, kind of how we took care of ours. It's a 2010 but only had 328 hrs on her. The owner had it detailed frequently,bottom cleaned monthly and mechanically well cared for.

Now that's a proper sea trial!  If there's anything wrong with it you sure would know it by now.  Enjoy the new boat!

Formula 40pc is a nice piece of floating stock!!!!  I'll trade you my wife and 3 GF's for it right now :)

It's been a nice trip, don't be a stranger......

Fare winds and fallowing sea's.

4 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Formula 40pc is a nice piece of floating stock!!!!  I'll trade you my wife and 3 GF's for it right now :)

4 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Alright, maybe not the GF's  :)

3 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Send picture of boat.   :haha-7383:

He meant ... send picture of both (all four?) ... let's see if the trade is fair ... :D

17 hours ago, mrfixit said:

After 9 great seasons with our Chap it's time to move on. We decided to move up to a cruiser and are about to close on a Formula 40pc ...

Great upgrade, all the best and have tons of fun. Cruiser opens new possibilities, you will like it.

Yes, it would be nice to see boat pictures ... :)

15 hours ago, mrfixit said:

That's the plan. Hopefully we can take some trips down to the bay this summer. My son is now working in the family business so that's what prompted me to go for a cruiser. I was able to take off 6 days to run it up from Fla. while he and my wife ran the shop. The boat was really well taken care of, kind of how we took care of ours. It's a 2010 but only had 328 hrs on her. The owner had it detailed frequently,bottom cleaned monthly and mechanically well cared for.

#1 Mouth of Churn Creek.

The locals call it Still Pond, but this IMHO this is the best swim beach on the Bay. Hard sand bottom with an exposed sand bar to port at low tide. Crowded in the summer months. I know as I live there.

#2 Woodlawn Creek

On the SassafrasRiver to Starboard just before Georgetown.

Secluded, with hard bottom and a good place to see the traffic rolling out of the river on weekends. Heck of a boat show.

#3 BohemiaRiver

Many points to anchor to port, just beyond the 6 MPH markers, before the Rt. 213 bridge.

#4 Worton Creek

Anchorage to Port heading in, on the south side of Worton Point. Great bay exposure with good air movement on even the hottest day.

#5 Still Pond Creek

No beach to speak of, but solid bottom to port just beyond the abandoned Coast Guard Station.

Favorite Restaurants in order of yummy IMHO.

1. Annie’s @ KentNarrows

2. The Narrows@KentNarrows

3. The Harbor Shack @ Rock Hall

4. Schaefer's Canal House @ ChesapeakeCity

5. Riverwatch @ Middle River

6. Crab Claw @ Saint Michaels

7. The Chesapeake Inn @ ChesapeakeCity

8. The Jetty@KentNarrows (the bands are great, bar food only.)

9. The Shanty at Tolchester Marina

10. Harris’s Crab House @ Kent Narrows

11. Tidewater Grille @ Havre De Grace

12. Waterman’s Crab House @ Rock Hall

13. The Harbor House @ Worton Creek

14. Fisherman’s Inn @ Kent Narrows

15. Triton Bar & Grille @ Elk River

16. Naughty Goose @ Northeast 

17. Anything in Little Italy @ Inner Harbor Baltimore

Back in the early 70's growing up, my parents used to take us on vacation down the bay every year. We used to refer to #2 as belly button beach because you could walk out a decent amount and only be up to your belly button. My father at 85 only stopped boating last fall when he sold his boat and condo slip on the bohemia. 48 yrs of boating starting out with a 17' wooden Thompson and topping out with his beloved Trojen 44 FBMY(that he lost to the winter storms of 2010). His last boat was a Mainship but his heart wasn't into it like his Trojen in which he owned for 27 years.

21 hours ago, mrfixit said:

Back in the early 70's growing up, my parents used to take us on vacation down the bay every year. We used to refer to #2 as belly button beach because you could walk out a decent amount and only be up to your belly button. My father at 85 only stopped boating last fall when he sold his boat and condo slip on the bohemia. 48 yrs of boating starting out with a 17' wooden Thompson and topping out with his beloved Trojen 44 FBMY(that he lost to the winter storms of 2010). His last boat was a Mainship but his heart wasn't into it like his Trojen in which he owned for 27 years.

My 88 30' Sea Ray Sundancer was at Two Rivers for 10 years. Good times on the Bohemia.    W

Congratulations on the new boat. Real good choice now that Dredge Harbor is selling Formulas. 

Yes they are now a Formula service center. Hopefully we won't need too much service. The previous owner just had the pod seals done 6 months ago so we shouldn't have any major bills for a while. Heres a pic from on the way up at Charleston municipal marina.

40pc.JPG